the 3700 dollar phone

WOW! I'm amazed anyone still leases! Let alone the "hundreds of thousands" that AT&T sez. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I remember being in the Bell store in the Bangor Mall getting a touch tone phone just before they broke up Bell. Orono still used analog switching but they had come out with push button phones that would work on either system.

The neice's comments are hilarious.

This comment is partially incorrect:

"The bottom line is, it’s totally ridiculous to lease a phone when you can buy a better one for much less money," Jortner said.

Less expensive? Yes. Better? I seriously doubt the phones you buy nowadays will last over 50 years like the old one did. ;)

Unfortunately, now the guy's going to have to get a new number since his current number is plastered all over the internet in the picture of the phone.

This comment is partially incorrect:

"The bottom line is, it’s totally ridiculous to lease a phone when you can buy a better one for much less money," Jortner said.

Less expensive? Yes. Better? I seriously doubt the phones you buy nowadays will last over 50 years like the old one did. ;)
I guess it depends on how you define "better". Modern phones have much more functionality than older rotary dial phones. For example, a modern phone might be cordless, have caller ID, store frequently called numbers, use DTMF for dialing (and for navigating phone systems), have full duplex speaker phone capability, and many other options and features.

A modern phone may or may not last 50 years. But most people will wish to purchase a new phone sometime within that 50 years to acquire the new features and functions offered by the new device. So for most users, a lifetime of 50 years or more for a phone is meaningless and of little value.

Mike