1st Inlay

Ed Nelson

This is my first real attempt at inlay. The pattern is one I sketched myself. You may be seeing this in a finished project if all goes well! The wood is purpleheart and poplar in maple.

IMG_0103.JPG

Looking good for a first test run. :thumb: How did you cut the substrate? Router? Chisels? How about the inlay itself?

Hi Ed,:wave:
That is an exciting side step from the cabinet work you just finished. Your inlays are really nice and the design is a good one too, keep designing things!. I like the color mix of the purpleheart and the poplar, but find the maple a bit too orange.
If you are cutting the three woods together did you end up with three complete pictures?:D
Good go Ed:thumb:
Shaz

Hi Ed,:wave:
That is an exciting side step from the cabinet work you just finished. Your inlays are really nice and the design is a good one too, keep designing things!. I like the color mix of the purpleheart and the poplar, but find the maple a bit too orange.
If you are cutting the three woods together did you end up with three complete pictures?:D
Good go Ed:thumb:
Shaz

Hey Shaz! This is a very small scale inlay. I'll reveal the product soon (hopefully this afternoon!). This is something I've wanted to try and I should be able to incorporate it in a lot of future projects on a larger scale. The maple isn't quite that orange, I took the picture last night and lightened the pic.

hi ed

nice job on the inlay !! :clap: cant wait to see the finished product

i keep saying one of these days i will try that . today i am just starting to play with my new D4R (no pics yet) i wanted to have a sample to show first :p

Ed,

As I mentioned in the other thread, I like it a lot. The use of PH for the flower works well. Good job! Care to show how you did it?

There's not really that much to it. You may want to try a little larger piece for your first try. All I did was stack cut the pieces on a scroll saw. I use double sided carpet tape to join the pieces. The inlay goes on top, then tape the template/pattern to the inlay board. Adjust the angle on the scroll saw, I used 2~3 degrees and I've seen 10~15 recommended. Look at your piece and think about the angle and you shouldn't have problems figuring which direction to cut the piece. If all works out, the inlay should drop into the cutout. Practice on a piece or two of scrap planed to the same thickness you will be working in. I used 1/4" thick material for the tulip. You can find patterns in books and on the web, but I freehanded the tulip. Sorry I didn't take any WIP pics of this one.

I think I'll be able to incorporate this into some larger pieces going forward!

Nice inlay and good work. Inlays are one of those things that bumfuzzle me. I have built a few, traditional style, muzzle loading rifles. Most of those incorporate small metal inlays. I bugger up the cut something fierce everytime. Guys who are good make the inlay look like it grew there. Takes skill, congrats on yours. :thumb: