Anybody know about Cummins Industrial Tools Factory Direct Sales?

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

When I was out of town, one of LOML's friends told her about this sale. Apparently the company comes to town with a loaded semi, rents a space, puts out one of each of the items that it is selling so you can check them out, you indicate what you want on a clipboard, pay and then go outside to the semi where they fill your order. Seems like they come to town every 6 months, don't know how I missed it in the past.

It looks like the Ridgid products they are selling are factory reconditioned. 5" ROS 49.99. also the Ryobi stuff:
Ryobi router, 1 1/2 hp, 49.99

They sell on the web as well

http://www.cumminstools.com/

I have never visited them, but i've seen a fair amount of tools purchased from them. In my mind, these are lower than Harbor Freight quality - plus the fly-by-night nature of their sales just plain ruins it for me.

From their website...

"Cummins Tools warrants to the orginal user all merchandise to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase by such user. Cummins Tools shall at its option repair or replace, free of charge, any products found to be defective upon company inspection. On some items we will refer the purchaser to the manufacturer for assistance for items covered under manufacturer warranties."

You just may get into the old "whose responsibility" squirrel cage with Cummins pointing to the mfg and the mfg pointing back at Cummins...with you in the middle with a broken tool.

Haven't bought from them, and have no plans to.

Jay,

I have indeed purchased a few things from Cummins. I look at them as a Harbor Frieght on Wheels! :rolleyes:

When they came to our little town (at the local Armory) last year, I was in the market for a shop crane. Theirs was about $30-$40 less than HF, and there was no shipping...which was significant from HF on such a heavy item. I also picked up the tow straps from them that I've been using to hoist things. And let's see...what else? Oh yeah, a cheap air drill and some cheap bits.

I'd stay clear of the refurbished stuff...and keep in mind that their own brand of stuff is on par with HF. With those caveats, it might be worth a look if they happen to be close by.

Good luck...
- Marty -

They come to our town about twice a year and draw big crowds. Most of the stuff is OK. Imports to be sure. Prices are low and they are gone the next day. I would never buy anything that might need service. e.g. drill press, air compressor, etc. But, their el cheapo wrench sets and the like are worth looking at. Go in with your eyes open.

Yep, they come to the armory in our small town about twice a year, Yep, most of their stuff is on a par with HF. Yep, they seem to have an exclusive on Ridgid reconditioned power tools.

I have had good look with some of their stuff (I treat a lot of the things I buy there and HF as disposable - if it lasts for the job at hand, I'm happy). I have purchased Ridgid recon's and in one case there was some parts missing from the package and I contacted Cummins HQ. It took them about three weeks but the missing parts were shipped to me by Ridgid. Sooo, I can't complain about their customer service.

George

I have bought a few small things from them that have been workable. Bought the 115 pc dril bit set so as not to pay shipping from HF, should have payed the shipping they are not up to par ( they will bend real eazy ) so I will have to pay shipping and pay for them again. Live and learn.
Bob

They were in our town this weekend. I went, bought nothing. Couple things almost interested me but I didn't buy. They did have tons of used Ryobi tools. There were no signs saying these were refurbished or what. I thought the prices were way-way too high, looked near new retail. They had some import make lathe with stamped metal beds. Whole thing looked chintzy. Price was $99.00 and, I'm sure, well worth less than half that. ;)

Yeah, on par with HF and Homier (which uses the same traveling format). Similar caveats as HF - some diamonds in the rough, some junk. I have had excellent results with customer service from Homier - can't say about Cummins since I haven't needed it.

FWIW,
Wes

They are based out of the Kansas City area and have several stores here. They are like Harbor Freight and are good to deal with.

I've bought stuff from them and as people say there are some good tools, and some pieces of junk.

All depends on what you are buying.