Paint help

Jeff Bower

I plan on repainting my lathe that my grandpa made sometime in the late 70s/early 80s and I'm wondering on what type of paint to use. I will use a wire brush on a grinder and by hand as well as some hand sanding....prime and then paint. Would a few cans of rustoleum (sp?) work well for this? I think their dark machine gray would make it look good. Any help would be appreciated. I attached a pic for those that haven't been over in the spinny forum. Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• lathe_web.jpg
    lathe_web.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
My favorite paint is Valspar Tractor paint. if you have a Tractor Supply company around they sell it. Massey Furgeson gray is a darker gray than most machine grays but it's a good color. But the best part is the paint is tough as nails!

I use a lot of Rustoleum because their gray is a good match to the 40's Delta color. It's a good paint. Just not as tough as Tractors Supply paint.

Many thanks Jeff. That vintage Delta color is sort of what I was going for but there is a Tractor's Supply here so I will take look at that paint tomorrow.
Jeff