Metal work question

Ed Nelson

I had a piece on my electric window mechanism for my Jeep break yesterday and, although I was able to rig a fix for it, it would be great if I could replace the plastic part with an aluminum part. I don't have any experience with metal work and can't afford a milling machine, but I was wondering if I got an x/y vise for the DP, could I do some light milling with it? If so can I just chuck an end mill in the jacobs chuck?

Ed, a lot depends on the geometry of the part but yes, you can do light milling as you describe. One thing to be wary of is the drill chuck can come loose in the quill from side load and from vibration. When that happens things can get very exciting!
DAMHIKT!

Sure you can, and if you use aluminum it will cut easy and can be cut on your table/band saw.

What's the part look like?

One thing to be wary of is the drill chuck can come loose in the quill from side load and from vibration. When that happens things can get very exciting!
DAMHIKT!

been there-done that!.........when i install chucks on a morse taper on a tai-chi drillpress like i use i`ll clean both halfs of the taper with lacquer thinner then spit :eek: on the male part of the taper before driving them together.
don`t side load for a few days......from that point on the taper should be rusted in place, so well that i`ve had to use an air hammer to drive the wedge in order to remove a chuck...not advisable for a "good" drillpress but for the cheapies like i use it works well.

There's not much to the part. It is part of the window regulator that the 2 cables mount in using swaged ends. This is a real rough sketch of the part.

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 20
Ed,

I think you can do that on your drill press by using an endmill on a piece of aluminum. Just go slow.