First Platter...

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I decided it was about time to try a platter, so here's my first stab at turning one. It's...can you guess?...spalted alder. The grain and spalting remind me of a shoreline, so that might just become the name for this one.

It's 12 3/4" wide by 1 3/4" tall, and a little thinner than I'd planned because it moved a bit more than expected when it dried. It's about 3/16" thick at the thinnest point, but it quickly tapers thicker. It's finished with a coat of Formby's Tung Oil blend and a couple coats of spray lacquer. I plan to leave this one a matte finish, except for the outer edge, which I buffed.

Platter 001 - 03 800 LR.jpg Platter 001 - 07 800.jpg Platter 001 - 06 800.jpg Platter 001 - 05 800.jpg Platter 001 - 02 800.jpg

Fire away...good or bad, let me know what you think. :wave:

OK, that is your "FIRST" platter....?

Dude, you are really doing impressive work.

Now I just have to point this out to everyone here on this board, Vaughn started turning, what, two years ago....? He has spent his money well, he has invested in the right tools to do the job, not the "BEST" tools, not the most EXPENSIVE but, the ones that do the job.

The last thing is the lathe that Vaughn is using, have you seen it?

41A6G2A768L._AA280_.jpg

This is the blue Palmgren 84315 version, I think this lathe sells new for about $450 US??

I know loads of turners who have much nicer lathes and a lot more money invested in their tools etc than Vaughn does, that cannot put out the quality work that he does (I know, as I see one in the mirror everyday............ME!!), so my hat is off to you my friend, you do nice work! :wave:

Sure hope you can convince yourself to upgrade to something that will not get in the way so much.

Cheers! :thumb:

Thanks for the compliments, Stu. :eek:

I turned my first little bowl a year ago...got my Wilton mini lathe in May of last year, so I've been turning a little over a year. (First hollow form was finished 6 months ago.) I've sure gotten my $300 out of the Sears lathe (like the Palmgren you showed...I bought it used from a local guy). I am starting to push its limits, though. Just tonight I rough turned the outside of a hollow form that's about 13" x 10". It'll be a challenge getting it hollow. (It's too big for my home made steady rest, so my G3 chuck is gonna be working overtime.)

I don't need any convincing to get a better lathe. :) Just have to work out the logistics...and sell the idea to SWMBO. Although I'd really like to buy my last lathe next, I don't think a Robust is doable in the foreseeable future. :D I do figure some Mustard or Mayo would hold me over for quite a while, though. Even for that, it's gonna take some time to get there. First hurdle...220v in the shop. It's on the horizon. ;)

Thanks again for the kind words. :thumb:

Hey Vaughn, I'm not saying nothing that I'm sure other would agree with.

just over a year eh? About the same as me, so that really tells me I got to get my act together :doh: :wave:

But you've done a lot of things during that year...bandsaw, drill press, lots of tool making, etc. I've just pretty much turned. ;)

Seeing your excitement when you first started turning was part of what got me started with this stuff. Bernie W and Ken F were also starting about the same time, and they were also some of my motivation. ;)

But you've done a lot of things during that year...bandsaw, drill press, lots of tool making, etc. I've just pretty much turned. ;)

Seeing your excitement when you first started turning was part of what got me started with this stuff. Bernie W and Ken F were also starting about the same time, and they were also some of my motivation. ;)

Oh yeah, blame Bernie, Ken and I........... :rolleyes: :D

Oh yeah, blame Bernie, Ken and I........... :rolleyes: :D

Is he back to that old stuff again blaming us again. Holy cow come on Vaughn.:rofl: :rofl:

I have to agree with Stu. Both Vaughn and I have the same lathe. He has put out some awesome stuff on that thing. I still use mine even with the DVR sitting there. Now I have it setup just for hollow forms since that is what the monster tool fits.

Vaughn the is one pretty platter. If I didn't know you I would say ya right:rolleyes: that's your first. Very well done buddy.

Great looking platter Vaughn!
I have seen some beautiful things come from your shop. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

DT

I haven't touched the dark side yet, but you seem to have found your element. You are turning (no pun intended) out some really fine pieces.

Nice work Vaughn. Boy am I glad to see that I am not the only one using that lathe.
Thanks Shawn (and the rest of you). Yeah, underneath all the plastic there's a pretty decent lathe inside. Especially once you learn to keep the Reeves drive lubed. :doh:

Vaughn

I agree, great looking work.

So, how about a short thread on "what I've learned" for those of us who are peering over the edge into the abyss?

Jay