Router Bit Set Special - MLCS

I actually bought the MLCS 66 piece set when I started woodworking. I find that I only use a few of the bits but, back then, I didn't know which ones I'd use - so I suppose it was worth it.

For my hobby use, the MLCS bits work fine.

Mike

Tod, Glenn, no offense intended.

Did I miss something here? I would believe that the MLCS set, including the bearing lube and the collet extender is the best deal, any way you look at it.

How is $177.65 for the Woodline set,(without the bearing lube or the collet extender) cheaper than $169.95 for the MLCS set, (including those two extra items).

Granted, the full price listed, $209.00 from Woodline, would be cheaper compared to $219.85 from MLCS.

Aloha, Tony

whoops:eek: ......you`re right tony, i totally missed the 169 price at the top of the page and only looked at the 189 price listed below the set......
my mistake, tod

Tod, Glenn, no offense intended.

Did I miss something here? I would believe that the MLCS set, including the bearing lube and the collet extender is the best deal, any way you look at it.

How is $177.65 for the Woodline set,(without the bearing lube or the collet extender) cheaper than $169.95 for the MLCS set, (including those two extra items).

Granted, the full price listed, $209.00 from Woodline, would be cheaper compared to $219.85 from MLCS.

Aloha, Tony

That's one of the great things about this forum Tony; there's always a member around to do a sanity check on us as we rush to help and nobody's feelings get hurt ;-)

I actually bought the MLCS 66 piece set when I started woodworking. I find that I only use a few of the bits but, back then, I didn't know which ones I'd use - so I suppose it was worth it.

For my hobby use, the MLCS bits work fine.

Mike

An alternate perspective...for the reasons Mike gave, I don't think I'd suggest a 66 piece set for a beginner (or an intermediate or expert for that matter). While $170 for that many bits seems like a good value per bit, it's still a fairly significant out of pocket expenditure overall, and the quality level is essentially deemed somewhere near "acceptable", "decent", "ok", "fine", etc. for decent value Asian made bits. Many of the bits are near duplicates of varying sizes, while others are just pretty obscure.

For about $80 you can buy a basic 7 piece set of top quality US made Whiteside bits of exceptional quality that'll outlast the value bits, and will likely all get some use. That leaves a fair amount of money to add a few other commonly used profiles (ogees, thumbnail, more roundovers, etc,) and/or some specialty profiles as needed...for the specialty profiles the value bits from MLCS, Holbren, Woodline, Woodcraft, Price Cutter, etc. are a more logical choice IMHO. Infinity also offers some smaller top quality sets at attractive prices.

If $80 seems like alot to get started, MLCS' 15 pc set for $40 is an inexpensive way to get started with decent performance.

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 6