new guy lurking

Mike Cerney

Hello folks,

I lurk on a few forums and this feels like one of the nice ones! I am the father of two and don't get to work wood as much as I'd like, but love to read about what others do. I like general ww, turning and carving. I also like jigs and have already seen some cool ones here.

I am up here in Northern California (Near sacramento)and have seen a couple others like me, which seems rare in the forums (or maybe some don't want to admit it?) ;)

I wonder where to look for the "family" part of the forum. Are there kids' projects or tips on how to convince the wife to let me buy more tools? I bring my four year old daughter into the garage/shop with me and we have lots of fun.

Thanks for the good info!

Mike

Hello Mike! Welcome to the forum. You have found a great forum with lots of great people. The folks here are all real nice and believe in helping each other out, hence the "Family". I know there are quite a few parents here and they may be able to help you find some of the projects you are looking for. There are people of all skill levels and all backgrounds. We don't have a lot of carvers, but please don't let that stop you from posting pics (by the way...we LOVE pics!) I admire those that can carve and with enough of a push, I may even try it someday! Don't be shy, jump right in!

Hi Mike, :wave:
Welcome to the Family.:D
This woodworking forum is relatively new. Saying that I must admit as of yet we all, do not have a handle on the young persons participation. I think this is a thing to be developed and offers tremendous opportunities for sharing with the little ones, fellowship in a single parent home, stress relief, creative excitement and many other things.
Don't give up hope. It is very important, after all, who would not like to share something they really enjoy with someone they really love.:D And you know, the little sponges( :rofl: :rofl: ) are very receptive.:D
Shaz

Hello folks,

I lurk on a few forums and this feels like one of the nice ones! ...
We are NOT nice! We're a bunch of grumpy old men with bad attitudes. :mad: ('Scuse me for a second...)

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU ONE MORE TIME, I'M GONNA CALL THE COPS!!! I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME!!!!!

Sorry about that. Danged kids...

OK, where was I? Oh yeah...the grumpy old men part...um...well...I can't remember what I was gonna say. :huh: I may be losing my memory, but at least I'm not losing my memory.

Welcome to the clubhouse, Mike! :wave: We can always fit another chair around the woodstove (or the air conditioner, depending on the season). As Shaz mentioned, we don't really have a lot in place right now for the "family" part, but we're always open to ideas and suggestions, and we welcome others to tell us about their "family" woodworking experiences. (Frank Pellow comes to mind on this point.)

Feel free to watch, share, ask, gloat, help, worry, mourn, or laugh along with the rest of us. And in case you hadn't noticed yet, we like pictures, so don't be shy about posting them. :thumb:

Welcome, Mike! Can't help you with the kids part as LOML and I chose not to have any. But this is a great place that is family friendly.
Has anyone told you we love pictures??:rofl::rofl: We even like pictures of kids and animals.:thumb: Jim.

Welcome Mike!

Since my two daughters discovered "Clothes" I'm having more trouble getting them into the workshop, but I still try :D

Vaughn you kill me, can anyone imagine the spectacle of this longhaired woodturner out yelling at the kids :D

That would be the day, he's still a kid himself :rofl: :rofl:

Again, welcome to the Family Mike!:wave:

Welcome aboard Mike! :wave:
If you have a spinny machine you will fit right in around here. :thumb:
I'm a flat worker in a sea of spinny things! :rofl:

DT

We are NOT nice! We're a bunch of grumpy old men with bad attitudes. :mad: ('Scuse me for a second...)

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU ONE MORE TIME, I'M GONNA CALL THE COPS!!! I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME!!!!!

Sorry about that. Danged kids...

OK, where was I? Oh yeah...the grumpy old men part...um...well...I can't remember what I was gonna say. :huh: I may be losing my memory, but at least I'm not losing my memory.

vaughn, you owe me a new monitor And Keyboard!

sad thing is, that was Me at age 28 or so. I've mellowed since then.

Mike,
welcome to the fold, I hear ya about not having time (or gumption) to do any real woodworking. that's ok, c'mon in and commiserate anyway! as Vaughn said, we love pics!

Welcome Mike

All my kids are grown men and women, trying to get 17 grandkids into wood working.........stay tuned.

PS

YOUR KIDS ARE WELCOME ON MY LAWN:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hear you Mike in regards to time out in the shop due to the little ones. I only got one right now, a 1 year old daughter, but she absorbs all of my free time. Right now I am heavy engaged in building an addition onto our house to accommodate her. Between the addition, working a full time job as a machinist, and her, well lets just say I will catch up on my sleep when I am dead!!

Right now a lot of my posts are under the construction sub-forum as that is where my interest is, but at some point I will gravitate back to the shop and being happy again.

As for the grumpy old hippy named Vaughn, well don't worry about him. His teachers used to tell his parents that "he never played well with others."

Here is a picture of my daughter at an old fort called Fort Knox. A few weeks ago her mother was busy so me and Alyson had a father/ Daughter day at this 1830's granite fort located here in Maine. You never realize what life is about until you see a child touch a rock like granite for the very first time. All I am saying is that while there is not much here for kids projects, we do know, understand and love kids nonetheless. I am sure you can relate, so welcome aboard.

Aly_Bench.JPG

Welcome to the board. My wife and I have 5 little ones. So I know how you feel about not being able to get much time in the shop. I found that the best time for me to be out there is from 10:00 P.M. until around 12:00 A.M. I do like the idea of having someplace to find and post good kid projects.

Mike,

Welcome to the Family ! :wave:

I'm sure you will like it here. I have found it a great resource and in some instances an inspiration to build jigs and shop items.

My 2 1/2 year old son loves when he gets invited into the shop. He helped me drive the pocket screws in my latest project. :D That really made his day! Very often when I put him in his seat in my truck he will ask if we are going to the "Orange Tool Store" (HomeDepot) or the "Blue Tool Store" (Lowes). He calls New Yankee Workshop and Woodworks (on DIY) Dada's tool show.

Its tempting to add something for children on here...it certainly would strengthen the Family Woodworking theme...

My only concern is that by adding a new sub-forum, we would be overwhelmed with sub-forums. In many ways I think we are a bit heavy on sub-forums now. I have no issues with the number, but would be hesitant to add one.

Still saying that I did like what Wood Online did on their new revamped forum. They have a gallery page that can be sorted by groups. One group is of children's projects. they are not plans, just pictures of completed projects. I added my train cradle for instance. Something like that would be cool to do on here, but might not be possible with VBulletine software.

THANKS

wow- it does feel like a family here! Thank you for the very warm welcome. I may post some pics- as soon as I figure out how!

thanks,

mike