Opinion on Rojek MSP310M

Brian Gumpper

I am thinking of buying the Rojek MSP310M because of it's small size and 12" jointing capacity. I am not familiar with the quality of the brand so any info on the company or that particular machine would be appreciated. For those not familiar, it is a jointer/planer combo machine.

The one plus for me and a possible downside is the short jointer bed. I don't think it would be a problem with the little that I do but opinions would be welcome.

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/msp310m.php

Brian,
I am not familier with Rojek, but you will like haveing a 12" jointer combo. If you buy thiis Jointer/planer, be sure to order it with the Taresa head. It will give you a smooth cut and very easy blade changeing.
While you are looking, check out the Min Max. I will admit my bias, but I have had good luck with mine.

Brian

Thanks Brian but all others are out of my price range. The Rojek at $2500 delivered seemed pretty reasonable and peaked my interest.

Being I am a byrd dealer, I would end up putting a Byrd Shelix head on the machine.

brian, a couple months ago i stopped in at techmark.....the rojek distributors for the usa....although the equipment isn`t up to the minimax-felder standards it is good solid stuff......and the staff is four star.....i think that you`d be quite pleased with the equipment especially the bang for bucks you`ll get......i`m a nonstocking delta/pm/jet dealer and unless you up the ante by lots, your 2500 would be well spent on the rojek equipment.....02 tod

Thanks Tod, I appreciate the info.

I have a Powermatic 15" planer and 8" jointer now and am happy with the machines. I just need some space and the 12" jointer does sound nice.

Any opinion on the short beds?

Well heck if you don't need a jointer I should not have to worry about bed length. I assume you either use a planer with sled or a hand plane neither of which haave long beds.

brian, my non-use of a jointer has caused somewhat of a stir when i bring it up:eek: ........i straightline on either the slider or bandsaw...as far as "face-jointing" i feel it`s a terrible waste of time and lumber......if i where to try and face joint a piece of 1x stock with a 3/8" twist in it i`d only have 3/8" of usable stock remaining.........most stuff that i build has boards glued together holding eachother in line so if i pick up a board that has a twist or cup that would normally require face jointing i`ll either cut it smaller to remove the defect or glue it into an assembly where it has no choice but to behave. by and large if a fellow wants to face joint his stock and retain 3/4" of usable material he must purchase 5/4 stock to do so...with lumber prices where they are it just doesn`t make sense to me.....tod

Don't know why folks would have a problem with your technique. The beauty of woodworking is whatever works for you as long as the finished product is what you want.

Do you use a widebelt sander then when you are done or just sand by hand?

brian, it depends on what i`ve built......if it`s flat i shove it in the widebelt.....if it`ll fit......if it doesn`t fit i`ll attack it with either a handheld belt sander, hand planes or random orbit sanders or even scrapers....anyway to achieve an end.....tod