Amboyna Burl Lidded Vase

Well here is my first attempt at trying a lidded vase. It is Amboyna Wood. It is 6 1/4" tall by 4 1/4" across. With the lid and finial it is 7 3/4" tall. It is finished with Antique Oil and buffed. I was pretty tickled with the outcome. I wish I would have had a bigger piece of ebony for a pedestal but that can be for the next one.

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl Vase 1.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Vase 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Amboyna Burl Vase 2.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Vase 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Amboyna Burl Vase 3.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Vase 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 34
Very pretty piece, Bernie. You deserve to be real happy with how this one came out. You're getting this "turning" thing down quite nicely, huh?

I have to agree with you, Vaughn. Bernie, another masterpice.

Question, Is there a ridge or step down inside the vase for the lid to set on or is it just the taper that holds it at theat level? Just curious.

Aloha, Tony

Tony I took a Bedan tool and put a 1/16" lip to the lid to touch down on. It does taper down to the bottom but I opened the top just enough the lid would sit on the lip. It worked out real well. I am looking at the next one already and this time will put a ebony pedestal on the bottom.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Bernie, that is really sweet!

How do you find turning the finials?

I've not had one survive the trip yet :doh: :D

Stu I got the DVD of Cindy Drozda's called Turning Elegant Finials. It is a awesome DVD. She takes you from how she determines the size to basic cuts to turning the finial. She makes it so easy to learn and all she uses for most of her cuts is a bowl gouge to get most of the wood off and then a 3/8" spindle gouge with a little different bevel on it. Works slick as a skew.

Nice job Bernie. My 3 year old saw the picture and said that she liked the crown thingy. I've never seen a lid set down into a vase like that but I sure do like it.