2nd Bowl

Ed Nelson

Well, after seeing the posts from Bernie, Stu, and Chas I'm almost embarrassed to post this pic. This is the 2nd bowl I have done. It is spalted River Birch finished with paste wax. I had a lot of problems with tear out on this piece and couldn't get it all out even with the 80 grit gouge!

IMG_01422.jpg

IMG_01431.jpg

Stu, thanks for the donut link! It really helps out!

No need to be embarrassed Ed, we were all at our "2nd Bowl" stage, everyone has to climb these steps, and I applaud you for showing us your efforts.

Nice piece of wood for sure, your form needs work, but you know that, and the tear-out thing, well, that still gets any of us at times :doh:

Spalted wood is often prone to it, as the spalting is the wood in the first stages of decay, so you get a lot of variation in the density of the wood.

Still, as a second effort, I think you are doing quite well.

So did you build a donut chuck? If so, we want pics :wave:

I've found that learning the mechanics of the turning was a big hurdle, trying to figure out how to actually do some of this stuff, once you get that noodled, then you can work more on improving your skills.

Bernie was saying the other day, about sanding, how when he started out, he pushed real hard, thought it was working harder etc, but it was not, this is so very true.

Today, while I was sanding another cherry bowl, I, yet again :rolleyes:, analyzed my technique, and found it lacking, so I went about things in a slightly different way, which I'll post to a new thread.

It is a constant learning thing, kind of like an onion, each layer you peel off, just reveals another layer below, and usually there are some tears involved :D

Keep it up Ed, you are doing great, can't wait to see the 22nd bowl, so make sure your date and hang on to this one, then, down the road, go back and look at it, you will be pleased at the skills you are learning! :thumb:

Ed great 2nd bowl. Just keep turning them out. I was there one time just like you are. I wouldn't even post my 2nd bowl. Tear out is a hard thing to work with. Like Stu said I found you don't have to stand on the sandpaper to make it work. Light touches and let the paper to the work. I have found two things that work for me. First when I watched Mike Mahoney turn a bowl in his video "From The Tree To The Table" he turned a bowl with a gouge with a Ellsworth grind. When he had the bowl shaped where he wanted it he said he had tear out. He says to spritz it with water or use mineral oil or walnut oil. I use a little squirt bottle and give it a couple of squirts or rub some oil on the tearout spots. I then take a P & N bowl gouge I bought with a conventional grind on it. Make sure it is sharp and then take one or two final cuts. Most times that will take care of the problem. If not I will lightly spritz it again and then try power sanding. Hope this helps

That piece looks like some of the wood was PUNKY (Soft/rotten). When I run into it, as I have with a piece currently on the lathe, I slather on a good coat of Minwax wood hardner and let it dry over night. It seems to help restore the structure of the wood and allow you to get a smooth cut, With sharp tools. It does darken the wood a very little, but not enough to tell.

I posted a thread some time ago on a bowl made from some (Wonderful, Punky, Rotten, Moldy) wood sent to me as a trade from one of our Nor'eastern buddies. I saved it and was able to get the walls about 1/4" thick, without blowing up.

I'll find it and tell you where you can see it.

Bruce

I'll find the pictures and post it here.

Attachments

• andy's wood 3.JPG
    andy's wood 3.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 6
  • andy's wood 5.JPG
    andy's wood 5.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 4
  • andy's wood 8.JPG
    andy's wood 8.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 4
  • andy's wood 10.JPG
    andy's wood 10.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Andy's Wood 12.JPG
    Andy's Wood 12.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Andy's Wood 14.JPG
    Andy's Wood 14.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Andy's Wood 15.JPG
    Andy's Wood 15.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks all for the input! I probably need to check out some classes, or at least some of the recommended videos, to learn some technique. Right now,., I am mostly using a round scrapper to shape bowls once I have them roughed out. I need to invest in a bowl gouge, but, with some other things going on, that'll have to wait a little while. At least the wood is free and it sure is fun! I definitely learn something new each time I turn something!

No reason to be ashamed of that bowl Ed. We've all been there, experiencing the same problems in one way or another. You've gotten good advice, and the only thing I can add is just practice, practice, practice. :thumb: It does get easier.

You did that all with a scraper :eek:

Hats off, I'd not even try that! :clap:

Get Bill Grumbine's video, worth the price a few times over, and get a bowl gouge, and the jig to sharpen it, you will be well on your way! :wave: