funny experiences woodworking

ken werner

Here's my idea: tell a funny story about a non or minimal woodworker who asked you for help, and how it went.

Here's mine. Friend Alec wanted to redo his kitchen table. It was a drop leaf in horrible shape. He wanted to make it fixed wing, so to speak, no more dropping. And of course it needed refinishing. "But I don't want to use any chemicals" he said.

"Alec, you can sand the finish all off, but it's gonna be alot of work" I said, looking at the 1" bullnose edging around the oval. and the beat oak butcher block surface.

So off we went. the sawing, jointing and gluing by me, the refinishing by Alec. After a few hours of sanding, he started to complain about the labor involved. "remember Alec, you insisted on no chemicals, right?" More compaints. More complaints. He was getting tired of sanding.....

Finally I told him, "Alec, why do you think they call it wood WORKING?"

Table still looks good. He did a decent job.

Ken

It should catch Ken, give it through tomorrow when the day shifters come back. They are out doing spinny stuff right now. Sorry I drew a blank. My funny bone is crooked, :rofl: never could tell a tale.

DT

OK, here's one....

My BIL wanted to borrow my drill so he could hang some pictures in their new apartment. I charged it up and put in a brand new sharp 1/8th inch bit. He called back a couple of days later asking if I had another bit - he had worn the first one out.

Amazed, I went over to see what was going on. He showed me the four pictures he had hung and was concerned cause he had three more to go

I was puzzled, it was just plain sheetrock.

You probably guessed it, the drill was running in reverse.:doh:

I did not inherit my woodworking / handyman from my Dad. I got it from my Mom's side of the family.

When my parents had their kitchen remodeled they kept the old cabinets for the garage. One drawer got broken so my Dad mad a new one. Took days to measure and figure and measure and figure and did I mention measure. Finally made the drawer and it was TWO INCHES TOO LONG. :eek::eek:

Even way back when I was a kid (elementary school age) I already had the "eye" and "hand" to make things. And just look at something and know if it was right or wrong. I was banned from the area when my Dad put the swing set together, etc - so I would not annoy him and also not learn any new "words" :eek::eek::eek:

Ahh ... the subject of fathers ...

This isn't strictly woodworking, but trees and saws are involved ...

One christmas, my folks picked up a really good deal on a nice tree for the house. Well when we got it home, it turned out to be wayyy too tall for the ceiling of our living room.

My dad, genius that he is, lopped 2 feet off the TOP of the tree since it was too tall. We had a crew-cut xmas that year. :rofl:

Not funny, actually frustrating. There is this person that I know, who quite frequently wants my advice and help. However, after I spend a lot of time explaining things to him, and helping him when he needed it, he ended up not taking my advice and did something that did not make any sense, IOW taking shortcuts that costs him in the long run, or were just ridiculous. He did not have any experience in any of the areas of which he asked my help, so his logic made absolutely no sense, and have told him such, but he found it amusing. Now when he calls and needs help, I am conveniently busy. I think he is getting the message, that I don't have time for him. Actually now that I think of it, it is kind of funny, now that the joke is on him. Have a great day. Bill