some stuff i`ve been busy with

Tod I'm really impressed with the truss cieling in the second to last pic. Could you elaborate more on these. Did you design them? Are they structual? What type of material did you use on top of the trusses...looks kind of like a bead board. Beautiful work!!

Doug

doug,
the actual frame members are recycled beams from some wharehouse back east, they are non-structural and i tried to make `em look like a timberframe "bent"......each one is hung from steel "u" chanel that spans 3 trusses and each half weighs around 350-400#, the joints are real pegged mortise-n-tennon.....i designed the whole ceiling using the customers broad stroke ideas.....the collar ties are something i tried to talk `em out of, being as they look too much like an oxen yoke to me....but that`s what they wanted.. that "beadboard" is actually 4 different widths of shop made t&g that i hand drawknifed on both the tongue and groove sides (that`ll make your arms burn after a coupla days)......thanks for the compliment!

doug,
the actual frame members are recycled beams from some wharehouse back east, they are non-structural and i tried to make `em look like a timberframe "bent"......each one is hung from steel "u" chanel that spans 3 trusses and each half weighs around 350-400#, the joints are real pegged mortise-n-tennon.....i designed the whole ceiling using the customers broad stroke ideas.....the collar ties are something i tried to talk `em out of, being as they look too much like an oxen yoke to me....but that`s what they wanted.. that "beadboard" is actually 4 different widths of shop made t&g that i hand drawknifed on both the tongue and groove sides (that`ll make your arms burn after a coupla days)......thanks for the compliment!
Hi Tod, :wave:
Your ceiling is good looking timber frame and the Tand G is a real nice touch. Sounds like you worked hard to achieve those results.:)Overhead work like this is another task in itself. Were you able to use a motorized scissor lift or did you scaffold up on wheels or scaffold all over? I think they would have been better off without the collar ties too. They are nicely done but look to me...too much.
Working alone has it's ups and downs, sometimes you just need another set of hands.
Your barrel vault is beautiful too.:thumb:.

shaz, hanging the "bents?"was done with a harborfreight electric cable winch, biljax roll about for the rest...i did have a hand hanging the "bents" the owner helped!:eek:.........neither of us was willing to risk anybody elses life-n-limb with 3-400# swinging overhead on an 1/8" cable.....

shaz, hanging the "bents?"was done with a harborfreight electric cable winch, biljax roll about for the rest...i did have a hand hanging the "bents" the owner helped!:eek:.........neither of us was willing to risk anybody elses life-n-limb with 3-400# swinging overhead on an 1/8" cable.....
Doesn't sound like you have to go too far from home to have an Adventure!:D Some people go by airplane for adventures in a far away land, You Go To Work for your's. :wave:
The owner helped, :doh:interesting. Sometimes...hands are hands.:dunno::)