Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call for Ideas

Call for Ideas

This is for those of you using SketchUp and desiring to become more proficient. It's also for those who haven't used it but want to. You have to help me so I can help you. Here's the deal. Give me some ideas of things you'd like to see done up as tutorials. Post them in this thread and I'll work on them as I have time.

I assume since I have moderator status I could make this a sticky. If I figure that out, I'll do it so this one stays at the top. Also, as I complete requested tutorials I'll edit your posts with a link to the thread containing the tutorial so that others can find it. How's that sound?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-24-2008 at 09:50 PM.

OK, one that I failed on was making a pipe, with a 3rd hole in it. See this: http://familywoodworking.org/public_...read.php?t=495

Tried and tired, but it would not work.

Cheers!

Oh, threads on a bolt See this: http://familywoodworking.org/public_...=4873#post4873
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-24-2006 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Edited to add links to related tutorials. dr
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, a hole in a pipe? As in drilled in from the side? Do you want it to go all the way through or just in to make a tee? a wye?

Threads? Do you want to actually see the threads or would indicating threads be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Stu, a hole in a pipe? As in drilled in from the side? Do you want it to go all the way through or just in to make a tee? a wye?
    Like a T or a wye, please.

Threads? Do you want to actually see the threads or would indicating threads be enough?
    Ah.... yes?

Dunno the difference....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This is for those of you using SketchUp and desiring to become more proficient. It's also for those who haven't used it but want to. You have to help me so I can help you. Here's the deal. Give me some ideas of things you'd like to see done up as tutorials. Post them in this thread and I'll work on them as I have time.

I assume since I have moderator status I could make this a sticky. If I figure that out, I'll do it so this one stays at the top. Also, as I complete requested tutorials I'll edit your posts with a link to the thread containing the tutorial so that others can find it. How's that sound?
    This all sounds quite considerate.
    Thank you Dave.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

This is very elementary, but one thing that seems somewhat hit or miss for me is moving one object into a specific location next to another. For example, I'll draw two boxes, then if I try to put the two boxes adjacent to each other, sometimes I spend a couple of minutes getting the one I'm moving into the proper position. They'll look aligned on one axis, then I rotate and see the second box is a half mile down the road. I'm sure I'm missing something basic, and likely others are too.

Thanks for all your help, Dave.

See here for tutorial: http://familywoodworking.org/public_...read.php?t=585
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-29-2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added link to tutorial

I'll work up something Vaughn.

Another basic one. I follow the instructions (yes I read the help files) and try to draw some construction lines but they never show up. I made sure they are visible but hidden but the little buggers still hide.

I think the will help Vaughn because I was wanting them to align something too.

See this: http://familywoodworking.org/public_...read.php?t=580
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-29-2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added link to tutorial

Sketchup...ya know I tryed that once upon a time and i was impressed but didn't really have the time to learn it. Now I think if David is going to be around I might reconsider it since I will be doing a little sheet work in cabinets to give ppl a look at what they will be getting. Gonna tutor Dave
    Now I guess I will have to down load it via dial up
    Reg

Reg, if you can find a friend with a fast connection, download the software on their computer and save it to a pen drive or other portable memory device. Those things are getting to be pretty cheap--probably less expensive than your time to download via dialup.