Call for Ideas

I'm in Tenn Dave...and right now freezing my butt off...12 degrees out side :eek:
Reg
Reg, go inside, its warmer there.
Regards,
Frank

Dave,
Darn, I about have my desk cleaned off enuf to install the TurboCad I got who-knows-when, and you come up with these scary-real renderings and awesome dimensioned assembly drawings!!!

Thanks tho,
Frank

Dave,

you are taking on quite a task but it will be greatly appreicated. My wife wants a contraption built for the patio and she tried to explain it to me and I finally said, "download the free version of Sketchup and draw it for me with the dimensions and I will build it". I will remember that you are here and I am sure that she will show up after the first of the year. I hope so. Seems like men and most women just talk a different language, expecially when it comes to descibing something.

Is the free version good enough to get started with?

Allen

:rofl: :eek: imagin how simple that was....man it's warm in here.
Allen. I got to play with it a little last night and it is pretty nice. But I just drew a box and was playing with the rotainon and I think that will take a little getting use to_Oh....better watch it she will get good at it and your in trouble with new table,cabinets,entertainment center......:D
Reg

I'm in Tenn Dave...and right now freezing my butt off...12 degrees out side :eek:
Reg

!2°? If only it would get that warm here. :D As my mom would say, "Put on some more clothes!" I never listened either.

Frank, skip the TurboCAD. SU will have you working a lot faster.

Allen, unless she wants to export high resolution images, the free version will be fine. As Reg suggested, make sure she looks at the tutorials.

Dave,
Don,
Thanks for steering me towards a more productive graphics system.

Checked and noticed that I had downloaded the beta google SketchUp in June of this year, but it does not appear in “Programs”, and the .exe file does not work. Will download current version while I sleep.

Thanks!
Frank

Dave,

I'm not certain that this link is still active . . . last posts are months ago.

I would be interested in how to make a spherical shape if and when you have a moment.

Thanks.

I get a little time, I'd like to learn how to draw face frame kitchen cabinets

OK Dave, I have a suggestion for some tutorials; how to create assorted scenes and use them to good effect in Layout.

For example - I have nice, reasonably detailed model of the Colonial Cupboard the Mike Dunbar did for FWW Sept/Oct 2001. I want to make a nice Layout doc of it with the general pictures (easy to do in layout) and dimensioned views of the separate components. I lost some time trying to use layers to hide things in certain views but that really didn't seem to be working too well.

Obviously, I can donate the skippy for the cupboard to the party.

I may have just lived too long in the 2-D world. I attempted again (been trying it off and on for a few months) to use SU to make a simple table top and attach four legs. I must be 3-D challenged or I am approaching it wrong.

I can knock out the same thing in a bottom/side/top view with full dimensions in something like Visio in pretty short order so, I'm not a total loss. I have been unable to move through SU with any degree of speed or success.

So, now that we know I am a knucklehead; I would like to see tutorials on how to make fundamental things so that I can develop those skills and then spring-off from my new found skills. I've been through several series of tutorials and can follow them easily but, they lack things associated with woodworking like, equal distribution of shapes, inset of table legs, equidistance between shelves, etc.

Examples I'd like to see:

Table top with four legs; legs at corners, legs equally set in, maybe add stretchers and skirts.

Carcase at the same fundamental level, add doors, add drawers, add toe kick, add shelves.

P.s. I enjoy your other tutorials. It's no one's fault but my own that I am behind the curve ;-)

Last edited:
Glenn, I did 2D drawings for years and was very good at it, but I always wanted to work in 3D so I could make a mock-up drawing so people could quickly see what I was planning on building. Once I found Sketchup I discovered that I could actually "build" my project in 3D, piece by piece and avoid errors down the road before I even turned the saw on. Here are a couple of tutorial links that I found very helpful when I 1st started using SU. Ron

http://download.sketchup.com/downloads/training/tutorials50/Sketchup%20Video%20Tutorials.html

http://www.caddtutorialsonline.com/sketchup-tutorials.html

I'm hoping, Glenn that after our conversation today, you'll post a drawing to show us your progress. ;)

I cannot express enough appreciation for Dave's generous offering of his time and expertise. . . OK, I did give him a break from cleaning out his shop and I took a break from painting in mine.

I have worked with 2-D graphics programs for years but found the 3-D space very confusing. I am obviously handicapped due to my expectations of how things should work. I have been through a few series of tutorials and they are good but did not address (or to me at least) those things I needed to do to be able to do what I wanted to do (my English teacher will roll over in her grave after that sentence).

I had several Ah-Ha moments while working with Dave. This pic is nothing to write home about but, over a period a few months, I had tried in vain to achieve this quickly and easily and had always given up.

I took a couple hours to do some painting following our efforts just to see if the bulk of what we went over stuck. I made this table with recessed legs complete with mortise and tenons in about 15 minutes. Compared to my previous ability and my near-acceptance that 3-D was just not for me; I am thrilled!

Attachments

• SU-Table-Test.jpg
    SU-Table-Test.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 14