(More Nudder Update ) Cyclone Goin' In!

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
Well, it has to be somewhere around 200 degrees in my shop attic but the guys are plugging right along with the installation.

100_1762.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1767.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1771.jpg

Of course I had to order more parts. Sigh... More money. :doh:

An “attaboy” for Penn State. The Cyclone muffler I ordered was bent out of shape when we got to it. They are sending a new one and having me put the old one in that box and send it back. They are paying all shipping. They gave me no trouble at all and were good to work with on the new stuff I needed as well.

I almost choked when one of the workers told me about his test run. He told me about it with such a serious face that it made it all the more funny.

It seems for the test run he wanted to be realistic. So... he took the bag of sawdust and wood chips off the temporary DC I had been using and held it tight around the bottom of the funnel. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyone want to guess where he had to go to get the bag back? :huh:

I told him if he had, had his head under that bag he would still be out there. :rofl:

DT

Last edited:
Looking forward to the pictures...

You have already solved a problem I am worried about. Noise!

I really want to build a very small room around mine. My Dust Filter is loud an when this thing turns on there is going to be a very lound ambient noise.

Mine is sitting in the basement in parts.....

Really nice looking parts, but parts it is....

Keep the updates coming

Looking forward to the pictures...

You have already solved a problem I am worried about. Noise!

I really want to build a very small room around mine. My Dust Filter is loud and when this thing turns on there is going to be a very loud ambient noise.

Mine is sitting in the basement in parts.....

Really nice looking parts, but parts it is....

Keep the updates coming

Mine sat in the garage for a month or two until I finally got the design I wanted and the piping Bartee.
Yes those big clumsy parts look really nice and shiny good don't they? ;) :thumb:

I built that outside room you are talking about for the air compressor and the DC.

100_0864.jpg

Then I decided to go with the Cyclone and it is much better suited in the overhead for my setup. Oh well, I can put a few shelves out there and maybe a few extra fluorescent tubes.

DT

Is there any concern with the motor overheating and shutting off being up there in the hot attic?

I have been asking about that myself Arron, no one seems concerned. There are only two months a year that really worry me, July and August. It was suggested I might install a fan over one of the vents triggered by the Cyclone start-up.

Anyone else have some experienced comments about this?

DT

Last edited:
Boy Don, that sure is a clean looking setup! :thumb:

Still waiting on the gaskets, or have they started on the duct work?

- Marty -

I have the gaskets Marty but it seems Bruce didn't include the 6" to 4" reducers to come through the sheet rock down into the shop. Which of course would be my fault for not ordering them. :huh: :dunno: :bang: :confused: :rofl:

The boys are in contact with him and all is going well. We are all learning together. Once they wade through my system, we will have a crew that installs DC systems here in FL. These are the same guys who built my shop.

DT

I have a temperature controlled gable fan mounted in my gara . . er . . shop that blows out the decorative gable grill. It kicks on around 120* (it's above ceiling level or course) and keeps the gara. . I mean shop below 90* when the temps get 100-plus outside. You could add one inexpensively to that vent right by your cyclone, maybe. I think the 1600 CFM model was about $50 with the temp switch. Its about 15" in diameter and designed to mount between stud openings.

Attachments

• Gable-Fan-1.jpg
    Gable-Fan-1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 44
I have been asking about that myself Arron, no one seems concerned. There are only two months a year that really worry me, July and August. It was suggested I might install a fan over one of the vents triggered by the Cyclone start-up.

DT

I have mine in my basement and the top of the motor is only about 2" from the bottom of floor stuffed between joists. They advised me to put a small personal fan up in between the joists blowing on motor. I think it was to keep it cool as well as create some airflow up in between the joist to help it work better.

Glenn's idea looks good.

DT

Hey Don,
There should be a plate on your motor with the serial number, hp, etc. Look for a box labelled something like MAX AMB xxC, which shows the maximum ambient temperature in degrees centigrade. Mine wants no more than about 110 degrees F.

I think Glenn's idea about a temp controlled fan is a good one, even without the DC up there.

BTW, here's one more compliment on the clean look of all your work. Wish I could develop that level of attention to detail.:rolleyes:

I have a temperature controlled gable fan mounted in my gara . . er . . shop that blows out the decorative gable grill. It kicks on around 120* (it's above ceiling level or course) and keeps the gara. . I mean shop below 90* when the temps get 100-plus outside. You could add one inexpensively to that vent right by your cyclone, maybe. I think the 1600 CFM model was about $50 with the temp switch. Its about 15" in diameter and designed to mount between stud openings.

Thanks Glenn, that's what I will do!

DT

Hey Don,
There should be a plate on your motor with the serial number, hp, etc. Look for a box labelled something like MAX AMB xxC, which shows the maximum ambient temperature in degrees centigrade. Mine wants no more than about 110 degrees F.

I think Glenn's idea about a temp controlled fan is a good one, even without the DC up there.

BTW, here's one more compliment on the clean look of all your work. Wish I could develop that level of attention to detail.:rolleyes:

Thanks Jesse, :rofl:
I always have been a knit picker. :eek:
I drive people crazy!
DT

Last edited:
I decided to use an inline duct fan if mine had problems. So far, the temps have been ok. I had one of the inside/outside temp controls with the separate probes mounted at the motor, but the unit died. New battery wouldn't power it back up. So back to the drawing board for me. You might see if you can find something like this. The one I had was a Radio Shack unit, and IIRC was fairly cheap 20 years ago when I got it. Jim.

I decided to use an inline duct fan if mine had problems. So far, the temps have been ok. I had one of the inside/outside temp controls with the separate probes mounted at the motor, but the unit died. New battery wouldn't power it back up. So back to the drawing board for me. You might see if you can find something like this. The one I had was a Radio Shack unit, and IIRC was fairly cheap 20 years ago when I got it. Jim.

Thanks Jim, I sure am glad to be a part of this place. :thumb:

DT

Very neat installation Don, and great use of space. Having the DC up and out of the way like that will pay dividends for a long time.
I think the vent fan near the DC is a good idea and a worthwhile precaution.

Very neat installation Don, and great use of space. Having the DC up and out of the way like that will pay dividends for a long time.
I think the vent fan near the DC is a good idea and a worthwhile precaution.

Thanks Rennie,
The boys are going to pick up the fan and install it. I'll keep it around 90 up there as suggested.
I was going to post a few more pictures today but they didn't turn out well. I'll sneak up there after it cools off and get a few.

DT