A Cabinet for All of Bart's Dishes

Dave Richards

Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun here. Bart ask me for some assistance with a cabinet he's designing. This is what I've got based on his e-mails and our discussion last night. As I understand it, this cabinet will be in a hallway so sliding doors make sense. The cabinet is 60" wide and the interior will be divided into three bays. So, should the center center door be in the front track and the two side doors in the rear track? Should there be four legs across the front or the three as shown?

Click to enlarge it.

Looks nice so far, Dave. We've got a similar cabinet (not nearly as nice-looking) in our house, and the center door is in the inside track. Ours has a solid toe kick around the base, so I'm no help on the 3 vs. 4 leg question.

4 legs looks heavier, yes ... but it just looks "right" to me.

3 legs breaks up the symmetry and unless you also break it up somewhere along the top, i think the look is thrown a bit. It isn't BAD BAD, but i don't think I could leave it be.

bd835357.jpg

:rofl:

Dave. Be sure and put locks on those doors.

I have a feeling Bart might want to stash some hand planes in there also. ;):D

I was just out in the shop that Stanley 5 1/2 corrugated & shop built mostly wood moving fillister plane & at least 1 of my wooden rabbet planes & maybe the Stanley #6 corrugated or or maybe the Millerfalls #22 oh I & forgot about the transitional planes.

Maybe these planes would lend a little panache to the china cabinet.:D:thumb::wave::rofl:

Attachments

• hp together.jpg
    hp together.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
In my book, definitely 4 legs. The symmetry is all broken up with three legs.

Ps; I love those Diamond Studded silver locks with the Gold key inserts, Dave.

Last edited:
I was just out in the shop that Stanley 5 1/2 corrugated & shop built mostly wood moving fillister plane & at least 1 of my wooden rabbet planes & maybe the Stanley #6 corrugated or or maybe the Millerfalls #22 oh I & forgot about the transitional planes.

Maybe these planes would lend a little panache to the china cabinet.:D:thumb::wave::rofl:

Where's your #12??? I see the #81, but no #80? And why don't you have more block planes? What about some shoulder planes? And you've GOT to have a #10 in that mix, no? :p

Edit: Oh there is hope, i see the #80. Phew. Scared me, there. :p