MVC-618F.JPG

==================================================================
The Breezeway

MVC-619F.JPG

Front of Workshop #2

MVC-620F.JPG

Front of Workshop #2 - pallets to hold previous owner's junk that is in the attic.

MVC-621F.JPG

Woodshed #2

MVC-613F.JPG

Front of Workshop #1 - I'm still organizing.

MVC-624F.JPG

"RedNeckDeck" between arage and The Breezeway.

MVC-625F.JPG

In the Garage

MVC-626F.JPG

In the Garage

MVC-627F.JPG

In the Garage

MVC-628F.JPG

The Truck (Ford F250) 10MPG

MVC-629F.JPG

Bed of The Truck showing results of Hunter-Gathering Activities.

MVC-630F.JPG

Workshop #2

MVC-623F.JPG

Woodrack #1 next to Workshop #1

MVC-616F.JPG

WOW when is the last time you had your head out form under the lumber/material pile. It time to see the light.

Consolidate it all into one well organized storage area & gain some room you may even find you have room to really build something accept a mess.:eek:

Its either that or a bonfire.:eek::dunno:

Looks to me a big Bon Fire is in order... I , like you have amassed a great deal of materials that are not destined for a specific find but too good to dispose of (bad grammer) This week I have puckered up and tossed a load of small stock and pieces that I have adored for years. It is time you made your spouse happy and de-clutter yourself and the rest of the yard.

IMHO

Reminds me of what I said when I finally got me a decent shop.

It WOULD not become a storage room!

Thank you for reminding me why I said that.

Jeff
Going to toss some stuff out now.

Its not a sickness, its just not good discipline.

Its hard, but if I have not used some scrap wood for 6 months or more, it gets burned. No ifs, and or buts. I just do not have room for scrap wood and I can't stand clutter. Its supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not something that causes more grief.

I’d have a noose around my neck in short order and I’m not sure who would be at the other end of the rope, my wife or my neighbors.

I operate in the same mode as Travis. I buy lumber specifically for the project I’m working on, scraps get burned.
I do keep some odds & ends but not many.

I think you have some nice racks to work with there. You also have some nice lumber piled up. I think you will find though that if you can't readily find the wood, you have a tendency to use what you can get at, and that is not really conducive to good woodworking.

Now I say that, but freely admit that the way my shop is made, I cannot get to my wood all that well either, so I have a tendency to do this. I have some ideas on how to clean up my shop, and yet be organized too. I got this stupid home addition to do first, but soon I will get my shop straightened up.

I would really take a hard look at your lumber storage and lumber itself, and get to thinning down the pile. I think you could keep a lot of it, if you utilized the storage space you do have. Looks to me like a few good weekends of hard work and you could have spiffy looking place there...and some good lumber in efficient storage to boot.

Not trying to bash you in any way here, just trying to encourage you to get cleaned up a bit. If you do, I think you will find that being able to have a clean shop, and be able to put your hands on the board you want, when you want it, makes woodworking so much more fun.

I think you have some nice racks to work with there. You also have some nice lumber piled up. I think you will find though that if you can't readily find the wood, you have a tendency to use what you can get at, and that is not really conducive to good woodworking.

Now I say that, but freely admit that the way my shop is made, I cannot get to my wood all that well either, so I have a tendency to do this. I have some ideas on how to clean up my shop, and yet be organized too. I got this stupid home addition to do first, but soon I will get my shop straightened up.

I would really take a hard look at your lumber storage and lumber itself, and get to thinning down the pile. I think you could keep a lot of it, if you utilized the storage space you do have. Looks to me like a few good weekends of hard work and you could have spiffy looking place there...and some good lumber in efficient storage to boot.

Not trying to bash you in any way here, just trying to encourage you to get cleaned up a bit. If you do, I think you will find that being able to have a clean shop, and be able to put your hands on the board you want, when you want it, makes woodworking so much more fun.

You are absolutly correct, Mr. Johnson.

I am thinking 6 in (15cm) shelves storing each piece on it's edge.

Any thoughts on this?

Glad you were not offended, I certainly did not mean to and did not want to even start to convey that...

My thoughts are backwards from yours, I was thinking about trying to organize my wood via lengths. You know 2 foot lengths here, 4 foot lengths there and so on. In between I might organize them by species. maybe not EVERY species but maybe 2 foot dark woods here. 2 foot medium woods above it and 2 foot light woods above that. I would carry that theme on down. 4 feet the same thing. 6 feet the same thing.

Maybe that would get your semi-organized.

Glad you were not offended, I certainly did not mean to and did not want to even start to convey that...

My thoughts are backwards from yours, I was thinking about trying to organize my wood via lengths. You know 2 foot lengths here, 4 foot lengths there and so on. In between I might organize them by species. maybe not EVERY species but maybe 2 foot dark woods here. 2 foot medium woods above it and 2 foot light woods above that. I would carry that theme on down. 4 feet the same thing. 6 feet the same thing.

Maybe that would get your semi-organized.

Yo comprende, amigo.

The things I make (or should be making) mostly are less than 2 feet stock whereas the longer materials are for things I make for my own use.

I am in the middle of constructing a set of shelves now (If SWMBO and Mother Nature allow time and temperature) where I can store by width and color - like a 2 foot deep bookshelf. As always, 100% recycled except for fasteners.

Thanks for the idea.

Yo comprende, amigo.

The things I make (or should be making) mostly are less than 2 feet stock whereas the longer materials are for things I make for my own use.

I am in the middle of constructing a set of shelves now (If SWMBO and Mother Nature allow time and temperature) where I can store by width and color - like a 2 foot deep bookshelf. As always, 100% recycled except for fasteners.

Thanks for the idea.

You and me are closer alike than you probably know. I typically make wooden models of things so I use a lot of small pieces of wood. I have the same problem as you, I want to keep every scrap possible because I could use every scrap in a model since the pieces are so small. Still you got to draw the line somewhere.

I have yet to find a real sound way of organizing my small pieces of exotic wood. I put them in bins sorted by contrasting colors but so far that means I use the wood thats on the top and the stuff at the bottom collects there unused. I got to find a better way that's for sure.

Still at some point I do make bigger things and thus have a need for longer boards. Right now I do have a solar kiln but that too gets filled up, and what's on the top gets used, what's on the bottom and towards the back stays there. Again I got to figure out a better system.

Of course after a little thought I realized I could not beat you up too much on your lumber pile because mine looks the same way...sort of. My shop is immaculate (I am a true clean freak in every sense of the word), but the majority of my wood is stored in the old sawmill, and the new sawmill, not to mention the shinglemill and the old warehouse. Those places definitely are not organized, so while I must admit my shop is clean, the majority of my lumber storage is just off-site. It's just not really comparing apples to apples since my lumber is dispersed across a few more places.

here is a picture of one of my models just so you can see how small the pieces are that I work with...

Side_View_Cat_60-453x336.jpg