Unbelieveable

Bill Lantry

Geez... thank goodness for the peace and harmony of this forum!!!!!

It is not like this everywhere. There is a certain other forum whose name you may have heard. I check in there every once in a while, just for the turning section. Today, they're in the process of driving out a certain turner of wide repute. He's a mennonite, I've heard, a man of peace, but the knives are out. He's changed his .sig file to "Bill's not here" Now they're turning the knives on themselves. That place eats its own young. Geez...

All I can say is: "Thank goodness for the peace and harmony of this forum!"

Pax,

Bill

This family proves that grown-ups can be adults. ;)

A great deal can be learned from a discussion, nothing at all from an argument.

DT

Now that down -right irrigates me.

I have no idea of what the problem is "over there," but I am very surprised that Bill is the target of the controversy.:huh:

As I see it, there are two possible explanations, either some moderator has a loose screw, or someone has cracked the moderator password and thought they would "have some fun." Either way, someone is in need of an education, and it isn't Bill, IMO.

That'd be me........Ain't no password to be cracked.....:D

Well Ken, tighten it up.:) If someone was able to log on to a moderators ID, they have "cracked the password" for a moderator. Besides, Ken, I don't think you live in Maine, or do you?:D

I went to Bill's member profile and found the discussion regarding advertising, etc. I think it was wrong to sanction Bill. While he does get paid for the demo, it appears that he is not paid by head-count, but I don't know for sure.

I have known Bill since the days of the Badger Pond, and find him to be a gentleman, and a scholar, not to mention an outstanding lathe man.

Gentlemen, I wish to question if we need to bring the discussion from SMC here to Family Woodworking :dunno:

If you would like to send Bill a note, do so via his website www.wonderfulwood.com I'm sure he would appreciate to hear from folks.

SMC has their rules and the mods over there are doing what they think is right, I'll not be second guessing them.

It's their place, which like this place, no one is forced to frequent.

Cheers!:wave:

HEY! :eek:

My EX use to tell me to "Think twice then shutup"

I thought that was kinda fishy. :huh:

DT

I guess they've thrown me out, too.

I posted a message supporting Bill, and siad if he goes, I'll go with him.

I just went to SMC to see if any other supporting messages were posted, and found myself locked out. Oh well. Their loss...

That's true, Bruce. Any Family will have little flare ups. It's all in how they are handled. I believe the rules and guidelines we have in place here would keep something like what just happened at SMC from happening to us. Will threads get pulled because someone gets a little out of line from time to time? Yes, it has happened here, and will happen again. But the way in wich it was handled, per the rules we voted in, I believe will control the damage and therefore the hurt feelings. Like I said in another thread, I'm proud of what we have created here, and thankful to the original core members that started this place for the foresight they had in how it should be governed. Jim.

That's true, Bruce. Any Family will have little flare ups. It's all in how they are handled. I believe the rules and guidelines we have in place here would keep something like what just happened at SMC from happening to us. Will threads get pulled because someone gets a little out of line from time to time? Yes, it has happened here, and will happen again. But the way in wich it was handled, per the rules we voted in, I believe will control the damage and therefore the hurt feelings. Like I said in another thread, I'm proud of what we have created here, and thankful to the original core members that started this place for the foresight they had in how it should be governed. Jim.
Jim, I hope and feel that you are right. I also hope that FW remains a smaller, tighter group.

Most of us have witnessed a small (?) transformation in the “friendliness” of SMC over the last 4 years. I think it is inevitable for things to get more regimented as the membership grows. Trying to moderate the large number of posts must be a daunting task.

And for the record, I am still a SMC supporter.:type:

I think a mistake was made and I think that if they could, they would put this one back in the bottle, but stuff happens.

I just went to SMC to see if any other supporting messages were posted, and found myself locked out. Oh well. Their loss...

That is too bad Jim, but like you said it is their loss. I don't mean to rehash the experience over there, but it has been going in that direction for some, that gives people the feeling that it is not the same place as it was before. It feels like you have this abusive parent following you everywhere and they are looking for a reason to smack you up side your head, because you do something that ticked them off and besides, they reason, you needed a good smack anyway. I am really an easy going person, but man, sometimes a person needs a break from the meaness in the world, and when the place they go to, to relax, and get away from the meaness and the beauracratic bs of the world, the one place in this crazy world that you want to stay the same, begins to take on the same characteristics, it really drags you down. Enough said from me, I will say no more, other than you will see me here more often. If I am still allowed after this post. Thanks again, to whoever started this forum. Sincerely, Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not at all happy with the way the situation was handled either, but rest assured, FW will have flare ups too - it is just human nature.

I agree Bruce but at least here if you do break a rule or on edge of doing so you are pm'd and told what you did plus how to correct it. You are told why the post is removed. I appreciate that. The way it was handled over there was completely out of line IMHO. I was chastised in a PM for supporting Bill and what I said. 3 hrs later another mod apologized. I am sorry but the one that chastised me should have been the one to apologize. I am just a simple old country boy and was raised if you do someone wrong you best be the one to fix it. No one wanted to seem to fix it.

Nuff said.

They have me locked out too. I guess I'm in good company, especially around here. Isn't this how the country of Australia got started?:wave: