mallot recovery

Bill Simpson

Not really a woodworking question but in a slight way it might be considered somewhere in the same area of concern.... Got you wondering, Eh(?)

Anyway, I have an OLD Leather Mallot (Wrapped Rawhide) Well over the past 60 or so years (My dad used it when he was building B-26s during WWII) I just got possession of it and other of his tools, I would like to make it servicable (although I probably won't use it, but hate to see it in such demise condition) What would be the reccommended product or oil to soak it in to make it pliable again (although it is not su[ppose to be soft, it is as hard as wood and the ends are curling out away from the wrap.

Any suggestions on how to revive this Leather Mallot?

Aside from the question of why you would want to make something soft that isn't supposed to be soft.....:huh:...personally, I wouldn't do it. But, if you are determined, soak in anything will soften. Water comes to mind. Wanna get fancy, use Neatsfoot oil. If the curled edges bother you cut off with a knife or saw or file off with a rasp.

If you use an oil or leather cream, it will soften it and it will most likely curl away further, so my suggestion would be to soak it in water just enough to make the curled part soft again, and then wrap it tightly with a good nylon filiment tape and set it aside until it is "completely" dry before you remove the tape. If it still doesn't hold it's shape to your liking, you can work a little leather glue (quickly) between the wraps and clamp it again with the tape overnight and it should hold it's shape.

Another thought. Don't do anything to it. Hang on wall in your shop where it can be seen and revive pleasant old memories. Then just buy yourself a brand new one for use. Or turn a wood one in your lathe. Actually, I believe turning a 'bonker' is a requirement for keeping yer membership here. ;)

Thanks guys for all the thoughts and ideas on what to do (or not do) with the mallot. I pondered and thought a simple solution might be simple . so I dunked it in water for a few hours (all day) and this evening I took it from the water and the coil wraping was soft and pliable. So pliable that I could reshape the rawhide back to the original shape. That I did and wrapped (Tightly) with a strong cord till it dries. I hung it up to wait a good number of days until it is hard again.

I'll keep abreast of the finding after it comepletely dries, I'm in no hurry so it may take weeks. I'll post the results.

Attachments

• P1020055.JPG
    P1020055.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks guys for all the thoughts and ideas on what to do (or not do) with the mallot. I pondered and thought a simple solution might be simple . so I dunked it in water for a few hours (all day) and this evening I took it from the water and the coil wraping was soft and pliable. So pliable that I could reshape the rawhide back to the original shape. That I did and wrapped (Tightly) with a strong cord till it dries. I hung it up to wait a good number of days until it is hard again.

I'll keep abreast of the finding after it comepletely dries, I'm in no hurry so it may take weeks. I'll post the results.

We'll keep our Fingers Crossed for you, Bill, but I'll bet it works. At the worst, you might have to put a dab of leather glue under the end of the last wrap to keep the wrap tight.