Made a tough and surprising TS decision yesterday....

scott spencer

There I was minding my own business enjoying myself in my shop and making some new stools to go with our new island top, when my 17 YO son comes home and tells me about a wwing garage sale they passed. So off I go out of curiousity. I walk in and he's got a bunch of nice PC power tools for nearly retail prices, a terrific work bench for $950, $25-$30 each for a bunch of average and used saw blades, nice chisel set, etc....but he also had a 1998 Griz 1023 with an updated SF Classic fence, mobile base, and motor cover all for $500....in nice shape too....seemed like a fair price. Now I wasn't looking for a TS, but this is the type of saw and deal I figured it would take to get me to part with the 22124. I'd sell the 22124 about $500 so it'd be a no cost upgrade. I took his name and number and figured I'd give a call back and take it.

But then the anxiety and paralysis set it in....I know in my head that the 1023 is a more substantially built saw with more power, but I like my 22124 alot, and there are some aspects that I like about it better than the 1023...like the 44" wide CI surface, the 40" rip capacity vs 26", the leg kick on/off switch, the real Biese, I bought it new, etc. It's also all setup nicely with my router table on one end, and all the storage cleats right where I want them, etc. The mass, vibration, and stability are about the same between the two saws. I waffled back and forth for a few hours, and finally decided to buy myself some decision time by taking the 1023, then I could decide between them, and sell one of them. I called but he wasn't home by this time... but it really seemed like a relief ....it was then that I realized that I don't want to part with the 22124....the 1023 is more powerful, but there's been nothing I've struggled to cut with the 22124, and I really enjoy using it. Then I started to think that the Griz is already 10 years old, and the 1023's from that era weren't as well respected as they are now, and I was wondering why everything at his sale was priced so high except for the 1023 :huh: ....for the time being, I'm happy deciding not to make any changes. :) The timing's not right, it didn't feel right, I don't want to bother with the hassle now, etc. I was surprised that I wasn't ecstatic about this chance.:dunno: I was finally faced with an opportunity that I thought I would jump on but decided to hold off for now...maybe it's b/c we're leaving for a small vacation today, but not making a change is a viable option that seems fine for now. :thumb:

Last edited:
Sounds like you made a good well thought out choice. Something most... well many people don't do. I have passed on a few 'deals" like that before and so far I have not regretted any of those choices.

....it was then that I realized that I don't want to part with the 22124....the 1023 is more powerful, but there's been nothing I've struggled to cut with the 22124, and I really enjoy using it. Then I started to think that the Griz is already 10 years old, and the 1023's from that era weren't as well respected as they are now, and I was wondering why everything at his sale was priced so high except for the 1023

Sounds like that you made the right choice to me. Now you can enjoy your vacation without having to think about it anymore.