Maple UFO Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Everybody needs to turn one UFO in their lifetime. I'm guessing this is mine. Hard maple, about 8 3/4" x 3". Finished with low gloss tung oil blend, and I'll buff it out in another day or so. It's got a crack in it (see the last pic) that I tried to soak some CA into, and it's smooth to the touch, but it's still visible. Since there wasn't a whole lot of visual stuff going on with this piece of wood, I burned the lip just for something to look at. :rolleyes:

Bowl 028 - 05 800.jpg Bowl 028 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 028 - 01 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome as always. :)

OK. It seems that every time I log in Vaughn has another HF posted. What's up with that?

Vaughn - do you have a job? Are you spending 20 hours a day in the shop?

All kidding aside, I like your UFO. If I had not sold my lathe a year or so ago I'd be tempted to try a HF:eek::eek:. Fortunately, I've already put something else on the real estate the lathe occupied, so I'm safe....for the time being.:rofl:

Vaughn..........Very nicely done!

Question....what's your wall thickness? I turned an HF shaped similarly but more oval....it's wall thickness was about 1/8-3/16"....I got cracks in it...wasn't sure if it happened due to heating during the sanding process?.....

...Question....what's your wall thickness? I turned an HF shaped similarly but more oval....it's wall thickness was about 1/8-3/16"....I got cracks in it...wasn't sure if it happened due to heating during the sanding process?.....
It's about 3/16" thick. The crack on this one showed up when I unwrapped it a month or so after the DNA bath.