Problem after FW software update

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
After the recent software update - a couple weeks ago - the software quotes the whole message I'm replying to when I hit "QUICK REPLY."

In other words, "Quick Reply" and "Quote Message" both do the same thing.

Anybody else having this (minor) problem?

On a separate note: Could somebody please explain how to properly use the "Multi-Quote" feature? I can't seem to make it work.

Jim,

There's a Quote Message in Reply 'checkbox' in the quick reply section. Are you sure that's not checked?

- Marty -

(FYI, I used Quick Reply to post this, and the message text wasn't included)

After the recent software update - a couple weeks ago - the software quotes the whole message I'm replying to when I hit "QUICK REPLY."

On a separate note: Could somebody please explain how to properly use the "Multi-Quote" feature? I can't seem to make it work.

Doing a quick reply here. I don't normally use this function. Lets see what happens

Jim,

There's a Quote Message in Reply 'checkbox' in the quick reply section. Are you sure that's not checked?

- Marty -

Jim,

I forgot to answer your question about Multi-Quote.

Notice that in my reply here, I've quoted all the posts to this thread before this one. I did that by hitting Multiquote on every post. The button turns red, and when you hit reply, all the posts with red buttons are included in your reply.

Make sense?

Give it a shot...confusing at first, but I've used it in the past when I want to reply to several people at once, and don't need to increase my post count with multiple posts to the same thread.

Let me know if you still need more info and I'll do my best.

- Marty -

Doing a quick reply here. I don't normally use this function. Lets see what happens

Hey check this out!!!

NOW it makes sense...

Jim,

- Marty -

I never use the "Post Reply" button, always the "Quote" or Quick Reply. I've always wondered how people got multiple quotes.

Now for a further question (since the thread's already hijacked!)... How do people do the nested reply thing? Say you reply to someone and quote them. If I wanna reply to their reply without losing the original quote, i'd like them nested so the trail is obvious ... is this easy or do you have to multi-quote and then copy+paste?

Jason,

There are several ways to do what you want.

The way *I* do it is to hit the Quote button while holding down Shift on the first post I want to reply to. I type my response in the new window that got opened, then I go back to the original window and hit Quote on the next post I want to reply to, again while holding down the shift key. That opens yet another window where the quoted text is properly formatted. I then highlight and copy that text. (And to avoid getting lost, I close that new window since I now have what I needed from it.) I then go back to the window where I'm doing that actual replying and paste the second quoted text. Repeat as necessary, then post your mulit-quoting reply.

(It less confusing to DO than it is to explain...:rolleyes:)

- Marty -

Still confused...

Jim,

- Marty -

Okay, Marty, I think I've got the multi-quote figured out.

As for the 'checkbox' in the quick reply section, I sure don't see one. There are three buttons at the lower right of each post - Quote; Multi-Quote; and Quick Reply. For me, it makes no difference whether I click on "Quote" or "Quick," the result is a quoted message in the reply box. This did not happen until the recent 'upgrade.' Prior to that, clicking "Quick Reply" got me a blank reply box.

I used "Quick Reply" for this message, and got your quotation, above. Nowhere in the reply screen or its 'additional options' can I find a checkbox for quoting/not quoting. I've also looked in the User CP section.

Please explain further. I seem to be in "DUMMY" mode.

Okay, Marty, I think I've got the multi-quote figured out.

As for the 'checkbox' in the quick reply section, I sure don't see one. There are three buttons at the lower right of each post - Quote; Multi-Quote; and Quick Reply. For me, it makes no difference whether I click on "Quote" or "Quick," the result is a quoted message in the reply box. This did not happen until the recent 'upgrade.' Prior to that, clicking "Quick Reply" got me a blank reply box.

I used "Quick Reply" for this message, and got your quotation, above. Nowhere in the reply screen or its 'additional options' can I find a checkbox for quoting/not quoting. I've also looked in the User CP section.

Please explain further. I seem to be in "DUMMY" mode.

Jim,

That's strange, and I'll have to check with others here to see if it's unique to you.

Here's a screen shot of the version of Quick Reply I see here:

quick-reply.jpg

Notice that checkbox I pointed to...

As an aside, that Quick Reply box can be 'gotten to' in a few different ways. First, you can click on the "notepad with pen" icon at the end of each post. You can also just scroll down to the bottom of the thread. (The icon just takes you down to the bottom of the thread.)

Is the screen I show above NOT what you see??? :huh:

- Marty -

Marty,

That checkbox option is turned off now.

When I click the Post Quick Reply, or the Go Advanced, I get an error message to click on an icon above (post window).

View attachment 11548

If I click Post Reply, the Quick Reply window opens.

The options are set that way now. vB Options, Message Posting and Editing Options....

And yes...Mac or Vista/ IE7...:D

Last edited:
Marty,

That checkbox option is turned off now.

When I click the Post Quick Reply, or the Go Advanced, I get an error message to click on an icon above (post window).

View attachment 11548

If I click Post Reply, the Quick Reply window opens.

The options are set that way now. vB Options, Message Posting and Editing Options....

And yes...Mac or Vista/ IE7...:D
Not sure what you are referring to when you say the check box option is now turned off. :huh: Seems to work here for me, Greg. I clicked the Quick Reply button at the bottom of your post, then selected the "Quote message in reply?" check box.

Vaughn,

When I try clicking the check box to "quote message in Reply", I get nothing. When I click the buttons below, I get the error message I posted.
:huh::huh::dunno::dunno:
I get it. We're talking about two separate "Quick Reply" buttons. I'm talking about the little "Quick reply to this message" (notepad and pencil) icon at the bottom of each post. You're talking about the "Post Quick Reply" button at the bottom of each page. As it says in the Quick Reply dialog box, "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply." If you click the little notepad/pencil icon, then the "Quote message in reply" check box is enabled.

So the software is doing just what it's supposed to do. ;) BTW, I made no changes to this functionality during the upgrade, so if there were changes, it's likely the result of bug fixes in the upgrade.

Ah, different buttons, different way of replying....

I always read the posts, then click on the Post Reply (with paper and pen) on the bottom, left corner below the last post. This brings up the Advanced reply window with smilies, options and all...ready to go.

If you just click on the Options "Quote message in reply?" button initially, nothing happens.

Oh i see ... Quote message in reply doesn't DO anything immediately - but when I post my quick reply, it shows the post whose icon i clicked to get to my quick reply field. Now that makes sense ... i'd wondered why it didn't do anything before. Now it makes sense :p

Jason,

You can think of the Quick Reply window as just sitting there, turned OFF.

In each post window is a switch to turn it ON...the little icon with a piece of paper and a quill pen on it.

When you click on the icon, the window turns ON, and activates the option to "Quote message in reply?" (quote the message in the post you are replying to).

You write your reply there. When you have finished writing, then you actually "Post" the quick reply to the thread by clicking the Post Quick Reply button.

Or, you can select the Advanced Window, and write your reply and utilize the additional options/smilies. When you're done, "Post" the reply by clicking on the Submit Reply button.

The Post Reply button in the lower left area after the last post also has a piece of paper and quill pen on it, but has a different function. It's set to bring up the Advanced reply window directly without regard to any specific post in the thread above.

Jim,

That's strange, and I'll have to check with others here to see if it's unique to you.

Here's a screen shot of the version of Quick Reply I see here:

View attachment 11547

Notice that checkbox I pointed to...

As an aside, that Quick Reply box can be 'gotten to' in a few different ways. First, you can click on the "notepad with pen" icon at the end of each post. You can also just scroll down to the bottom of the thread. (The icon just takes you down to the bottom of the thread.)

Is the screen I show above NOT what you see??? :huh:

- Marty -

Okay, now this is really wierd! I got the screen you show for about one second, then a different reply screen pops up with the quoted message in it.

It seems like I must be the only one that's having this problem, so maybe it's something with my setup - or maybe even with my computer - but it does seem strange that it only started after FW's software upgrade.

Okay, editing my post for additional info: If I use the "Post Reply" box at the end of the thread, the reply box works just fine - no quoted text. It's gotta be soe sort of glitch with the "Quick Reply' button in the individual posts.

Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:
Okay, now this is really wierd! I got the screen you show for about one second, then a different reply screen pops up with the quoted message in it.

It seems like I must be the only one that's having this problem, so maybe it's something with my setup - or maybe even with my computer - but it does seem strange that it only started after FW's software upgrade.
Hmm...I can't get that behavior to happen on mine. What browser are you using? Dunno if it'll help, but you might try deleting the Family Woodworking cookie in your browser.

Jim,

In your UserCP, Edit Options, at the bottom....what do you have selected for "Message Editor Interface"?

Also, for the heck of it...what Forum Skin are you using?

Jim,

In your UserCP, Edit Options, at the bottom....what do you have selected for "Message Editor Interface"?

Also, for the heck of it...what Forum Skin are you using?

1. Standard Editor - extra formatting...

2. Woodie

Note also - I've made no User CP changes since joining FW.

I logged out, and also deleted the cookie from my HD - no change.

Well, we're into the "give this a shot and see what happens" area....:huh:

I've seen this work sometimes...log OFF, go to another web address. Then type in "www.familywoodworking.org" to bring the site up. Do not use a Favorite or Bookmark!

If it does, delete your old Favorite/Bookmark and create a new one to use.