very proud of SIL in Air Force

Frank Fusco

Our son-in-law is currently stationed in Kuwait. He previously had a tour in Iraq. While in Iraq he got a promtion to Senior Airman (E-4) seven months BEFORE his elgibility date. This morning my daughter called to say that he has been promoted to Staff Sergant (E-5) almost ten months BEFORE his eligibilty date. He has only one year in current grade and only three years and one month in service. Obviously he has done well in job performance, tests and other paramters. I'm beyond button popping proud. I'm actually crying as I write this. Both great young people and both great Americans.

BTW, the way he was given the word was he was awakened at 5:30 in the morning and told there was an emergency at the flight line and he was needed. When he ran there, the wing commander had a formation of Airmen and officers waiting and he was presented with his orders in front of them all.

That is terrific Frank!!! Just let him know that most of the citizens of this country really do support and respect the service men and women regardless of how any of us feel about any particular war. Without them we are toast. Just one persons opinion but I feel confident that it is all true.

That's outstanding news Frank! Please convey our congratulations to him as well as our thanks. His sacrifices and those of his comrades are not going unnoticed.

Wes

That's outstanding news Frank! Please convey our congratulations to him as well as our thanks. His sacrifices and those of his comrades are not going unnoticed.

Wes

Frank - You are justly proud. We all owe your SIL, and all those serving with him, a huge debt of gratitude.
Wes and Rennie pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Pass along a Very Well Done from me, too. :thumb:

Originally Posted by Wes Bischel

Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
Frank - You are justly proud. We all owe your SIL, and all those serving with him, a huge debt of gratitude.

Originally posted by Vaughn
Wes and Rennie pretty much summed up what I was going to say. Pass along a Very Well Done from me, too.

Yup - pretty much what I was thinking too.

You have good reason to be proud Frank!! Congratulations

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Frank,
Promotions and public attention from the military hierarchy are not won easily. It takes a constant vigilance and dedication to duty. Not only during a working day but also as a lifestyle.
Your boys are practicing a style of life taught to them by loving parents to which advancement is just a natural byproduct.
So I say not only congratulations to those boys but a hearty kudos to the Mom and Dad who worked equally as hard to instill these values into their children.

DT

We send our congratulations to your Son in Law, and your entire family Frank. It not only takes dedication and sacrifice from our men and women in uniform, but a very supportive family as well. Please send our thanks to him for defending our country and our freedom. My wife and I are very active with the organization "Soldiers Angels", and we feel it is the least we can do to support our patriot's for the sacrifices they unselfishly make for us. I wish him well in his future endeavors, and pray for his strength and safety. You are righfully proud, and I know he is thankful for that.

Was that a STEP (Stripes for Exceptional Performance) promotion? If so, good on him! I think a STEP to E-5 is rare... especially with so little time in service... usually used a couple grades up from there. :thumb:

KC

Was that a STEP (Stripes for Exceptional Performance) promotion? If so, good on him! I think a STEP to E-5 is rare... especially with so little time in service... usually used a couple grades up from there. :thumb:

KC

According to my daughter, it was strictly earned. He scored very high on the sergeants exam. She credits that to his studying while other candidates spent all their time bending elbows in the Airmans club. But, he has also acquired a boat load....er....in Air Force talk....a cargo plane load of awards and commendations. The Army borrowed him twice to get systems going in Iraq that they couldn't fix. And he did it by studying, on his own, for things outside his normal job responsibilities. And the Navy borrowed him once to get a high-tech system going in a customs clearing house they have in Iraq.
He once received the 'Silent Hero' award the military gives for guys who do exceptional things that don't necessarily make it on the evening news. After I sent him and e-mail with congratulations, he wrote back, in part: "I hope to be as good of an NCO as possible." Typical modest and great attitude. Daughter picked a good 'un.

EDIT: I probably didn't answer the basic question. I believe it was a regular cycle promotion, not a special thing. He is jumping over rank of some E-4s in his unit that have been there for 14 to 17 years.

Last edited: