My first "little" bowl

Tony Baideme

Hi Folks,

Well, I finally got some time to finish my first bowl project. I don't even know what wood I used for it. (just a piece of something I had hanging around) :rofl:

It is simple, about 1 1/2" high and about 5" diameter. It was just a trial. I posted some pictures, (so it did happen) :thumb: I sure know I have one heck of a ways to go.

Many thanks for all the great information I keep getting from all you people. Your critique is welcomed.

Aloha, Tony

Attachments

• wood projects 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    wood projects 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 35
  • wood projects 006 (600 x 450).jpg
    wood projects 006 (600 x 450).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 47
  • wood projects 008 (600 x 450).jpg
    wood projects 008 (600 x 450).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 36
  • wood projects 009 (600 x 450).jpg
    wood projects 009 (600 x 450).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 32
Looking great Tony, the form is not to my liking, but hey, for a first, you done better than me! :thumb:

Date it and keep it around, you will look back at it with a smile and a nod at some point!

Cheers!

Looks like you're off to a great start, Tony :thumb: That's WAY better than my first bowl. The form's unique, but I like it. Shows you were thinking outside the bowl. Looks like you got a nice finish on it too, although I can still see a hint of a few sanding scratches on the inside. Not to worry though, it's a great first bowl for sure. You're a quick study. ;)

I've been wondering how you were doing with the weather over in your neck of the ocean. You staying dry and attached to the land?

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments and constructive criticism. :bow: It's welcomed.

Stu, on the style of the form, I was trying to see if I could get the bowl in a bowl effect. I think it worked. I would do a deeper curl-over on the lips next time, as a challenge. (I don't believe my first was better that yours. :huh:)

Vaughn, same goes for you. I fail to believe your first turnings were worse than mine. As to the finish, it's just three coats of paste wax, rubbed out with cotton cloth (tee shirt) and #00 steel wool between coats. I sanded with 80 D paper first (I have some A paper somewhere), then a 160 or 180 grit mesh (that's used to sand drywall mud) (because it's what I had) both with the lathe running and with it off to follow the grain some, then with 400 wet-or-dry, then the wax with the steel wool. I see those scratches. (and I am sure you noticed those lines around the outside?) :dunno: I sanded two times in the sequence I stated. I'll have to work on that more next time. The end grain stood up real bad and that's why I re-sanded.
Quick study, huh? :D Well, that's what I been told. I catch on fastest when I can get my hands on something and do it. I don't study well from books. Live training may be better, when I get to go to some turning classes, later. But actually, give me a machine, and I can usually find out to get the most from it, whether it's a lathe, drillpress, or a forklift. I am proud of the fact that with no formal training I can do what I do. (I simply amaze myself) :rofl:

Thanks John. I am sure yours will be nice. :thumb:

Bernie, I plan to keep this around just to remind me. I know I have much to learn and it's going to take a long time.

It's this kind of encouragement, and the fine examples of pieces from you folks, like Bernie, Vaughn, Stu, Chas and the others, do that gives me ideas, and inspiration.

Oh yeah, we are all doing fine over here. :wave: Ole' Flossie blew herself apart after passing by the south tip of the big island. Must have been all that hot lava flowing out of the island that scared her. We got some wind and a few showers. We were lucky, this time. Not like for Eva or Iniki. Thanks for asking.

Much Aloha, Tony

Glad to hear the Typhoon missed, Mom nature can be a bit of trouble:D

Here is my first bowl........

bbowl_cracks1.jpg

That is after it came off the lathe, I really was flying by the seat of my pants :rolleyes:

LOTS of sanding and CA glue later.......

1st_bowl_inside_rim.jpg

and the bottom...........

1st_bowl_bottom.jpg

....sucks, you can still see 4 screw hole from the faceplate :doh: tons of cracks and it is not very round, it is not shinny either, so while it was a first, it mainly shows that I can learn and I can be taught! :eek:

Cheers!

OK, here's my "first bowl" entry. (Should we start a new thread?)

First Bowl 1 800 LR.jpg

It's dunno wood, about 3 1/2" wide by 3/4" tall, with thickness ranging from 0" at the rim to about 1/2" thick at the bottom. The picture looks much better than the bowl itself, but even the picture shows the tool marks on the inside. :p It sits on my dresser as a daily reminder. The date on the bottom says 7/2006, so it was made a little more than a year ago.

Mine doesn't have screw holes in it. :rolleyes: Had plenty of wood left in the bottom for some, though. :rofl:

Tony,

I've come back to this thread several times and looked at your bowl, and each time I find that I like it a little more than before. Keep it up!!

Nancy (125 days)

Hi everyone,

Stu, your bowl looks pretty nice there, especially from what it was when you started.

Looks good Thomas. I kind of like the simplicity of your design.

Thank you Nancy. I really don't know what I was aiming for in that design, other than the Bowl-in-bowl thing. I am sketching some ideas and my next will be different.

Vaughn, I haven't tried anything like yours yet. The fully curved design is nice. I will try one of that style soon too. What advice can you give on the sanding/turning scratches you noticed in mine? Like I said, I ran my sanding routine twice because I had some end grain tearout and wanted it to get smoothed out. That seems to have worked but I ended up with the sanding scratches showing. I did sand with the lathe running and with it off too. I see what you mean when you talk about sanding while stopped. You can follow the grain much better.

Thanks all, again. I'll keep trying and will let you see the results.

Aloha, Tony