metabo tools

Chris Mire

i was searching amazon for different miter saws and came across metabo saws. then i realized i had seen these saws at the construction retailer where i bought my steel city TS. never having heard of them i dismissed them as some cheap alternative. but when i saw the price of their saws on amazon i reliazed they weren't cheap at all ranging from 400-700.

anyone know anything about this tool brand, the brand doesn't seem to be tai/chi but as we know that doesn't mean the tools aren't made there.

ps...not that i am bad mouthing tai/chi made tools

thanks
chris

They are a long standing German company and as far as I know have a very good reputation. The only tool that I have that was made by Matebo is a Ridgid 6" ROS and I really like it and has worked well. I guess that it got too expensive for Home Depot as that unit is now made somewhere in Asia. If they had a product that I really liked I would not hesitate to buy it.

I might be wrong, but I think one or two of Mini max bandsaws maybe made by Metabo. Or maybe made sometime in the past.

I just seem to remember somewhere that Metabo and MM were used in the same sentence....

Joe

Metabo is a very good quality brand. Somewhere a touch below Festool and on a par with the best Bosch tools in the pro field. Until recently largere tools in the range were branded as Elektra Beckum but Metabo have recently changed everything to Metabo.

I have an 80mm disc sander(http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/hand...attelectronicdiscsandersxe400_6_00405_00.html) which is a fantastic tool and gets hammered by me frequently and just keeps coming back for more.

I also have two crosscut saws (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/halb...esawkgs301withslidingfunction_0103001145.html) which I love. Sturdily built with a quiet, powerful induction motor.

Some of you will be familiar with the SXE450 sander but will have seen it wearing an orange overcoat and pretending to be a Ridgid sander (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/hand...electronicdiscsandersxe450duo_6_00458_39.html) I have one of these and (sacrilege of sacrileges) use it in preference to my Festool sander in the same category.

Lastly - I have an Elektra Beckum tablesaw (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/halb...aws/dimensioningsawpkf255v8dn_0192593433.html) This is really more of a trade/hobby grade saw but it works and works and never moans about it.

You may get from this that I like Metabo and I do. I have never been disappointed in one of their products. No affiliation etc.

Last edited:
What Ian said, great tools, and, if they are new to the US market, you might just get some real deals on them! :thumb:

Metabo, as a brand, is not new to the US market, although some Metabo items probably are. The Metabo Biscuit Jointer has been sold here for many years, as a matter of fact, "Norm" used one on his show for several years before he started using the PC model. The Metabo is reportedly very good quality tools, but expensive too. Early on, the Biscuit Jointer sold for $600 +, IIRC.

thanks everyone....good info as usual

i think i am going to make another trip to the store where i saw those miter saws and give them a good look over. also been wanting to get a 6" ROS but can't seem to make myself pull the trigger on festool. so i may give metabo a shot.

after searching their site i realized they make a ton of tools, but most of the bigger stuff isn't available here, only in europe. they also have a very curious looking little tool, a cross cut saw and mini table saw in one...check it out

http://www.metabo.com/metabo/halbst...rosscutmitreandtablesawkgt300_0103300000.html

thanks again everyone
chris

neither have i stu....maybe it's just me but safety comes to mind when i look at that little saw....

chris

Chris - To be honest, they scare the lights out of me but they appear to have some kind of appeal to a limited group. I think that some onsite kitchen fitters etc find them useful but I wouldn't touch one.

The 6" ROS is a bit heavier than the comparable Festool but does a very good job and is lower in vibration than most but a bit more than the festool. The main reason I have cooled on the Festool is that I was wearing out a backing pad with pretty much every box of discs that I used. They are pretty expensve to replace. The Metabo has been running for 18months or so on the same backing pad. As far as I am aware my technique was not the cause, if it was then the Metabo was clearly more resilient.

gloat coming

ok, called the dealer and they no longer carry metabo saws, they were too expensive and weren't selling, but he told me about some other deals they had on makita tools, so i'm off to new orleans this morning to make sure i like the makita.

more later today.....

chris

marty style gloat....sort of

ok so it ain't as good as a marty gloat but it's pretty good in my eyes.

i called the contractor supply place that carried the metabo miter saws and found out they no longer carried them.

i was a little disappointed because i really wanted to check out that saw.

so he informed me they had a great deal going on the makita saw, which i had been looking at. he said i could get a makita 12" sliding dual bevel compound miter saw for 655..which didn't sound like a good deal to me, then i heard the words..."and get another one just like it for free"...i said "what!!!"

yep, he told me i heard him correctly...FREE!! another 12" slider for free.

so i got dressed and drove to new orleans, along the way i called some friends who might be interested....by the time i left the store i had 6 miter saws in the back of my truck. i got one, my dad got one, two friends got one and a trim carpenter friend bought 2.

i also sprung for a metabo 6" dual mode ROS!! been wanting one for awhile now.

so today was a good day...got me a saw that woulda cost 475 on amazon on a super sale with free shipping for 360 after tax!!!!

pics later...it was raining when i got back to the shop

chris