BAd motherboard?

Jeff Horton

Rather than get into the computer geek forums thought I would ask this here first. Was given an old computer by a friend with the condition that if I erase her HD I could do what ever I wanted with it. It's been sitting for a while now and I knew it had some problems. Thats why she replaced it.

Problem is it keeps rebooting itself. Never quite gets completly started and reboots itself. After 2-3 times it runs. I formatted and started installing W2K on there but it never finishes installing or if does it won't run properly. Usually get an error while installing it.

This is the second HD I have tried and the one in there now was in this computer. I just upgraded to a larger drives so I know it was good when I pulled it. I am thinking the Motherboard has an problem. Anyone disagree or know something else it might be?

I'm a Mac guy, but could you move the HD you know is good to your good computer, install 2K on it, then move it to the girl's computer? You will probably have to re-register/activate 2K (or whatever it is MS makes you do), but I assure you have an original disc. You could run all the Anti-XXX stuff on it to be sure it's clean.

Stab in the dark....

Probably not Steve. My friend was not computer literate. It's an older HP, regardless I would think it would load the OS. It won't even take the w98 that it came with.

Greg, I might could but after two HD's I don't think that would help.

Just thought I would follow up on this. I have piddled with the computer a little but just could not get it to accept an OS. Was talking to my FIL yesterday over some fried turkey. Asking if he thought it was the MB too. Then it hit me about the same time it did him. I hadn't checked the memory in it.

This computer belonged to friend of mine. I had added some extra memory to it 3 or so year ago. So I pulled the chips out and found the old one, put the newer one back in and guess what? It seems to work. I just installed an OS no problem. Looks like I have a shop computer! Just need to order some new memory for it.

Last edited:
Your exactly right Frank. Matter of fact I saw one the side of the road (rural area) coming up the mountain to my house. Someone had just dumped it on the side of the road! :(

I have been thinking of running down and grabbing it. Since I have this one running I think I will. At least I can dispose of it properly. It might be an old computer that can be made run easily. Even old computer make great file servers and backup devices and internet machines if nothing else! Just cram all the memory in them they will take and they still work good if just a bit slow.

Just got this one on the network this morning. Having it downloading all the patches and security updates. I will install my software on it so I will have access to work files in the shop when I client calls and am goofing off in the shop ...... I mean working off site. :)

This is a classic memory problem. Whenever a computer won't boot and reboots, it's most likely due to bad memory.