Backless chair/stool with sculpted seat

Hi there, after three wonderfull weeks of holidays ( I apologize for not even saying a proper farewell) during which I've tidied up my workshop, and done a lot of woodworking (at last!!) I'm on the way of making the chair of the included sketch.

As I wasn't sure how to proceed I've made a half full size mock-up in scrap salvaged wood from machinery packaging that I will post tomorrow together with some questions that I hope some of you more experienced than me will take the time to answer.

As a token here it goes the preliminary sketch.

Any comments suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 98
Ooh...I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape. Looks like it's going to be a very nice piece. More from Toni the Artist, who happens to also do woodworking. ;)

I like your sketch, also. The software you are using makes it look almost hand-drawn. :rofl: (I envy your excellent drawing abilities.)

Thanks Vaughnn,

But I'm just Toni, a fellow woodworker, that gets more from this forum that gives to it. I'll be always in debt for all the things I learn here:).

BTW. the software I'm using to draw is called IFITISNOT WHATYOUWANTDOITAGAINANDAGAIN;) is is on release 1.0 although there are some patches available:thumb:

Hi Jesse.

Yes you are right. The joinery is what I foresee will be the most challenging part, so I count with your help and the help from other fellow woodworkers to solve it:).

Wait for the initial pics of the mock-up that I'll post tomorrow.

This is going to be a really nice project, Toni. I love the design.:thumb: For the joint between the front legs and seat frame, maybe either a tenon on the leg and a mortise in the rail, or.....maybe a stopped sliding dovetail about 3/4 of the length of the face of the joint so the dovetail wouldn't be seen?????? Either would give a lot of glue surface for strength with a proper fit, (and a real challenge to the "Joinery Skills" too if the sliding dovetail is used).:D

What kind of wood are you going to make it from, the same as your Table?
I will enjoy following this project.:thumb:

Well… as promised here there are a few pics of the state of the process.

As I have no idea how a chair is made, and this is my first attempt ever;
I started by drawing and cutting out from cardboard a full size set of templates of the side view ( sorry no pics) and cut the rail and front and back legs, out of salvaged pine wood from heavy machinery packaging.
01.JPG
At this time as what I wanted was to check proportions, size and design I didn’t bother about any joinery because I don’t know which one should or will use, anything that would hold the pieces together would serve.
03.JPG
As a matter of fact I did use a spline on the mitered ( or is it mitred?) joint of the front leg, checking at the same time how would it look if it was made of different colour.

I glued the half seat as well, although at this time on the pic the front part of it was missing. In the final chair it will be made of a maximum two pieces joined in the centre by its length as usual not as depicted here

Then I shaped the back and the back leg together.
04.JPG05.JPG
Marked what would be removed from the inside to accept anybody’s bottom.
06.JPG
Shaped it and tested. As the edge of the back was 90º with the seat it made an uncomfortable pressure about 3-5 inches below my belt so I decided to fill the gap with plaster, and giving it a rounded shape. I did it this way because it was faster than gluing a scrap of wood and carving it.
061.JPG062.JPG

Rounded the inner part of the front and back legs.
07.JPG08.JPG
Marked eyeballing the concave areas of the sculpted seat and carved them away until they felt right. (Continued in part II)
09.JPG

Last edited:
Part II

Then I checked once more the overall appearance using a mirror to have a full view of the completed seat. Perfect bookmatching of the grain.:rofl:

So now the questions:

As I believe that showing end grain on the back of the chair would look wrong I think that I will have to use mitred joints on the front legs and on the back of the seat and mortise and tenon joint on the back leg, as Norman just suggested. The stopped dovetail isn't a bad idea as well Norman, thanks

The back will have to be rather roughly cut and shaped once glued.

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong in my appreciations so any other suggestions, help and advice from any of you and of course constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.:wave:

P.S. Last pic is a resin deposit I found when shaping the back leg, I've heard of them but never encountered one before, it left my hand and spokeshave really sticky and it took me quite a while to clean both.

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 28
  • resin bag.jpg
    resin bag.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 31
BTW. the software I'm using to draw is called IFITISNOT WHATYOUWANTDOITAGAINANDAGAIN;) is is on release 1.0 although there are some patches available:thumb:
Very funny Toni! :rofl:

I expect that this "stool" will be very popular, not only for it's appearence but for its comfort. At Pellow's Camp we have a "stool" that I rescued from a very old (at least 150 years) chair whose back was beyond repair. It has a hand sculptured seat which is very comfortable and we get to argue about who's turn it is to sit on it at meal times.

toni,
in pic #13 second from last where the back leg joins the seat, i think it would look more refined if instead of hitting the seat at an abrupt angle it was rounded somewhat, kinda like a cove, maybe using a glued on block?
otherwise i think it`s a cool looking project..

I've got no comments on the joinery but just wanted to say that is one beautiful design. I love the way that the rise at the back gives you backless chair a back. The mirror idea is also just simply brilliant. I never would have thought of that in a month of sundays!

cant give any advice

but can ask questions,,what are the rollers doing on the bottom of your bench in one of the earlier shots toni? is your bench reversible?? not sure what tod was refering to in the abrupt angle but i woudlike to see the back round up from the legs rather than be square corner but i am not a design person,, so i might be all wet in this..

Way to go Toni, I agree with Ian, the use of the mirror is a great idea, one of those things you see and you go :doh: man, why didn't I think of that :dunno:

Brilliant, this is going to be a nice project to watch.

Cheers!

PS, how is your supply of Japanese Chisels, looks like they will get a lot of use! :thumb:

,what are the rollers doing on the bottom of your bench in one of the earlier shots toni?

Hi Larry, Those are a couple of counterweights that I salvaged from and old technical drawing table that someone tossed away. I put them on my bench to make it heavier and prevent it from moving or shaking too much when sawing or planning.

I can see from that that you are a man that pays attention to details, and I'm sure it shows on your work. I'd like to see some of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Larry, Those are a couple of counterweights that I salvaged from and old technical drawing table that someone tossed away. I put them on my bench to make it heavier and prevent it from moving or shaking too much when sawing or planning.

I can see from that that you are a man that pays attention to details, and I'm sure it shows on your work. I'd like to see some of it.

:D so would i:rofl: been busy building a shop and havnt had time to be creative latly

toni,
in pic #13 second from last where the back leg joins the seat, i think it would look more refined if instead of hitting the seat at an abrupt angle it was rounded somewhat, kinda like a cove, maybe using a glued on block?

Thanks Tod, I was looking forward for your comments, yes, I agree it could look better, in fact it is what I've done on the sides, what prevented me to do so was the initial size of the piece that would need to be used, I'm always reluctant to generate too many scraps that eventually are thrown away. I could cut both legs capsized on the board to minimize it but even then I think it would be quite a lot of waste. While I'm writing this I'm having te idea of achieving it by carving it out of the seat part; that could work without using more wood on the back legs couldn't it?
I'll give it a try this evening and I'll post the result tomorrow.

On the other hand, the contrast of the back with the rest doesn't bother me much, but now I know I'm being partial, I have to take some distance and analize the shape with critical eye and mind, thank you very much for pointing that.

Gluing a block mmmh:huh: maybe, but how would you do it? With a seamless joint and trying to match the grain as much as possible?

The wood I'm thinking about making it is maple, do you think is a good choice, my knowledge of woods is rather limited:(

:D so would i:rofl: been busy building a shop and havnt had time to be creative latly

Hi Larry, I'm still on the process of setting mine up, but I try to split my time and efforts between the two. It is the foreverlasting dilemma " fish or cut bait":rofl: or should I say " setting up the workshop or doing some more rewarding woodwork":p