Backless chair/stool with sculpted seat

Good Procedure. Easy, simple, and the drilling to proper depth is great. Kinda like the turners that cut to depth at the different profile points and then working to them or from them. (I'll have to put that in my "Tips to Remember" list):D

Very cool, Toni!

I hope this isn't a thread-jack, but I'm reminded of a similar but larger-scale solution that I saw back in 1980 as a freshman at BYU. One of my classes did a "field trip" ... all the way to a building across the street from the football stadium. :D The sign over the door said "The Ossuary"; this is where they prepared dinosaur skeletons for display.

Well, some professor had discovered a huge dinosaur (Ultrasaurus or Supersaurus, I don't remember which). Unfortunately, they had only found one of the two huge leg bones (the femurs, I guess) ... the other one was missing.

Hmmm ... how to make a reverse copy of the bone? You can't make a cast; that method will give you an exact copy, not a reverse one.

In the end, they set up two large tables separated by a couple feet of space. On the one table they put the original femur bone, and on the other table they put a big chunk of modeling clay. In between the tables, they placed a large (6-to-7-foot-tall) tool that looked like a drill press, but instead of a single motorized headstock it had two passive heads. The heads were at the ends of two arms that were geared to swing in opposite directions; if you moved one arm to the left, the other would swing the same distance to the right. The whole assembly could be cranked up and down, and moved in parallel with the tables.

In use, the technicians fixed two rods (of matching lengths) into the heads and then "traced" the actual bone with one of the rods. Wherever the opposing rod encountered the clay, they would carve the clay away until it matched. Fairly low-tech, and it took a long time, but it allowed them to complete the skeleton. :thumb:

Very cool, Toni!

I hope this isn't a thread-jack,

Hi Kerry, I'm sorry but my command of english is not complete, I can't make out the sense of this sentence, is that some sort of slang or made out word ?

Thanks for your comments, there are several methods to transfer three dimensional points, some to make exact copies, some to make symmetrical copies as the one you have mentioned and some others to enlarge models.

All of them are quite time consuming but in fact they are rather simple, provided you have a model to copy from, the rest is just being methodical and having patience:)

Kerry Burton said:
Very cool, Toni!

I hope this isn't a thread-jack,
Hi Kerry, I'm sorry but my command of english is not complete, I can't make out the sense of this sentence, is that some sort of slang or made out word ?
Sorry about that; I guess it IS a made-up word. Another way to say the same thing would have been:

"I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, [...]"​

(Which is already a slang-y way of speaking, I suppose. :huh:)

Last update on my chair!

Hi there.

My chair is almost finished, it has taken me more sanding time than actually the time I spent in building it.
While I was sanding it I realised that there was something wrong that I couldn't identify. So I decided to put it aside for a few weeks and look at it with a refreshed mind.On the meantime I didn't rest still ( See today's previous post).

Being chair almost finished, finally I decided to disguise the joints in the back that were disturbing me with two fake splines that mimic the front ones and in some way connect the front with the back.

The rest you already know.
cadirabis001.jpgcadirabis002.jpgcadirabis004.jpgcadirabis005.jpg

So when I went back to work on it I could realise what was wrong with it.
The slope of the back was twisted. And it took me a while to find out wich one of the two corners was the wrong one. It was the one I marked on the picture.
cadira005.jpgIt was about 7mm forward than the other that's why it made it look twisted! I fixed with some carefull paring with a gouge and there we go!
cadira008.jpg

Now some more sanding ( still) and applying a finish which I haven't decided yet what is going to be.

Thanks for looking

When I saw your earring case earlier tonight, I was thinking "I wonder what happened to Toni's sculpted chair?" Thanks for answering the question for me. :D

Good job on spotting the part that was bothering you. I often do something similar with turned pieces. I'll know something is not right, but if I look at it long enough it becomes apparent, and usually it only takes a little bit more cutting or sanding to fix it (at least in my eyes). It's nice when it finally all comes together and just looks "right". :thumb: The rear splines were also a good addition. It helped bring it together visually.

Now get that chair finished. I'm anxious to see it with the finish on it. I suspect it will be beautiful.

Hi Toni, I also had been wondering about the chair and it's progress. Glad to see it's coming together so nicely, (even if it has involved a LOT of sanding) I'm sure you will get it "Just Right" soon. I too like the addition of the splines on the rear that I think really ties the design together nicely. I can't wait to see it with the Finish on it.:thumb: