Anyone know what's going on over at the Creek?

Gloating of problems over at SMC is classless.

I like both forums and there are other regulars here that are also regulars over there.

The sniping done here is wrong and petty.

Stu, you are an ambassador for FWW. Your comment was compassionate and professional.

I seem to remember when FWW was having server problems and this site when down for a couple days, Keith and or Aarron offered to help get this site back up.
Hi Joe, :wave:
I think it is important to throw in your feelings and they need be respected. Thanks,
Shaz
Joe

With all due respect, and I mean that in all seriousness, I don't see anyone "gloating of problems" at SMC? Some are relating the personal experience with their "issues" at SMC, but the way some folks were treated there, I think that is just venting, more out of frustration due to lack of explanation or common courtesy on the part of SMC. Maybe I am way off base here, but some of the email correspondance I received from a certain moderator would make the hardiest of sailor's blush. That goes back to the early days of the Freedom Pen Project, when I raised legitimate questions and concerns, and was banned soon after. Joe, there is a lot of history there that you aren't aware of, and I don't care to go into. Water under the bridge my friend! Again, no disrespect meant toward anyone, or any forum....just my 2 1/2 cents. :wave:
Hi Kevin, :wave:Thanks also for your input. A different slice from Joe but your view and just as valid.
Let us exercise class and restraint while still exercising the right to discuss openly SMC here at FWW.
Shaz

People have differing opinions and everyone is not going to agree or like them. And that's OK.

For example, I was one of the few (or many depending on how you look at it) that got banned from SMC. My opinion is I did nothing to violate the rules, it didn't warrant a warning, much less being banned. Then no one even had the courtesy to answer my emails asking if I was banned or if it was a technical problem? Needless to say I have some strong opinions about the way I was treated.

BUT! I am not going to get into that here. This is not the place and it serves no purpose. A little venting is one thing. But the problem is that both sides have some strong feelings and it's all fun and games till someone crosses the line. SMC is back up, they have their own set of rules, so lets move on. There is nothing to see here.

Just to throw in my two cents...

I admire and appreciate SMC for all that I learned there, and the friends I made there. There are still a lot of folks over there I consider to be my friends. I wish them no ill will, and if they were in a situation where I could help, unlikely as it might be, I would.

It's no secret that Family Woodworking was started as the result of several disagreements with the management over at SMC. It's not necessarily bad to describe our experiences at SMC, but our CoC here specifically prohibits bashing other forums, so we do need to watch how we express our experiences there. (I'm as guilty as anyone in this thread of skirting the line on that rule.) :rolleyes:

Now Woodnet...those guys...don't get me started. :rofl: (Just kidding, I've probably spent a total of 30 minutes there in my life, so I don't really know much about the place.)

I had intended to stay off this one but.... I agree with Stu and believe strongly in live and let live. They do their thing, we do ours. At some point in the future we will all have technical challenges to overcome and will overcome them or not as is the case. Ho hum....

I got banned a while after I left the place. Actually, I didn't really get formally banned...just started seeing things stop working. Things then went downhill real fast after a little e-mail discussion I had with Keith regarding my deleted PMs. ;) Nowadays I still show up as a member, but all of my PMs have disappeared, I can't post, and I can't see any pics. Other folks have been "guested", or have had all traces of their existence erased.

As is typical there, they are even inconsistent about how they kick people out. :rolleyes:

'Guested' checking in here...

At least Keith answered your Email/PMs. He ignored my efforts to contact him until I called him on it in a post... one that lasted maybe 30 minutes.

I left voluntarily, but a lot of people didn't know that because somebody pulled my 'farewell' post in the middle of the night. :eek:

I haven't been ban'd from the Creek, and read it occasionally, but haven't posted since the point FWW was formed. It's a useful site, and I still glean some info from there. I think it's to their dis-advantage if people don't post, but what do I know.

At some point in the future we will all have technical challenges to overcome and will overcome them or not as is the case. Ho hum....

i have "technical challenges" every time i leave the shop propper and come sit in front of this keyboard.....does that count?

Sorry To see so much controversy and bad feelings from a forum.:(
I've learned so much and met many wonderful people in person through these venues.
Wish all good luck as we need to be getting together in this day and age rather than choosing up sides.

tyler,
my sincere appoligies if i came across as controversial or as one who harbors ill will:eek:......i`m only able to speak for myself, but i too have formed many on-line and in person friendships both at the creek and here and wish no ill will to anybody. my "dancing" comment was outta line but i find it easier to joke about the comments made to me than to be venomous in return.
tod

Tyler

I think that you have to bear in mind that some (many??) of the folks on here have been summarily barred from SMC. Many (most?) with no effort to mediate the "offences" that they committed.

Imagine that you had been banned from a bar that you went into very regularly and liked very much because you had questioned whether the cerice curtains that they had just hung went well with the lime green carpet. I suspect that you would find it difficult to recommend friends to the place or feel generous about it after you were banished.

Bearing that in mind, I don't really see that much in the way of controversy or bad feelings. I wish them well but having had it made fairly clear that I was not welcome or wanted, find it a little difficult to worry about their ups and downs.

I would like to comment
that in both places I have
received help and advice
when I asked.
Also, there are magnificent
woodworkers and woodturners
in both places. I have learned a lot
by reading these two forums.

I really second Tyler´s comments.

Saludos cordiales
Alfredo

I think it is safe to say that those of us that were excommunicated bear no ill will to the membership. I never had a problem with the members there. After all they don't have the power to banish you from their kingdom. They are just citizens subject the Nobilities whims too.

Like I said, I still like the place and I still post there. I've said on threads here before that there are many people there I respect and appreciate, and many of those do have the power. My comments are out of concern for the Creek. And maybe for us here to watch out so that as we grow, we don't get blinded to some of the things that go on that can be, or appear to be, inconsistant. Heck, if it wasn't for the Creek, I wouldn't have known Tyler was going to be in Ft. Worth last week to get to meet him. I hope that the Creek can address the problems that appear to be happening, and can get on to the quick road to healing. I'm leary of questioning or bringing up anything there for fear of starting a problem. That is the last thing that is needed. Jim.

With all due respect, and I mean that in all seriousness, I don't see anyone "gloating of problems" at SMC? Some are relating the personal experience with their "issues" at SMC, but the way some folks were treated there, I think that is just venting, more out of frustration due to lack of explanation or common courtesy on the part of SMC. Maybe I am way off base here, but some of the email correspondance I received from a certain moderator would make the hardiest of sailor's blush. That goes back to the early days of the Freedom Pen Project, when I raised legitimate questions and concerns, and was banned soon after. Joe, there is a lot of history there that you aren't aware of, and I don't care to go into. Water under the bridge my friend! Again, no disrespect meant toward anyone, or any forum....just my 2 1/2 cents. :wave:

Kevin, your problems with SMC have nothing to do with my original post here in this thread. I remember when you left and it was way before the guys here formed FWW. I also seem to remember you being temporarily banned for some problem, prior to me joining SMC in Jul of 2004. I do remember reading some of your past posts, prior to me joining SMC, so I do know a bit about dilemma.

My only comment about Saw Mill Creek is "No Comment".

Frank, you made my point! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for SMC, I would never had met many of you. I know the problems that occured last Sept and Oct and look what happened!

A brand new Forum was formed!

If it was not for Ken Salisbury, mentioning that "you troublemakers :)", formed a new forum, I would not have known about FWW as quickly as I did.

I try to stay out of the arguments, but this post and a couple others here bothered me.

Lets focus on woodworking and the ancillary discussions derived from woodworking and let SMC alone.

Respectfully

Joe Mioux

Last edited:
If it wasn't for SMC, I would never had met many of you. I know the problems that occured last Sept and Oct and look what happened!

A brand new Forum was formed!

If it was not for Ken Salisbury, mentioning that "you troublemakers :)", formed a new forum, I would not have known about FWW as quickly as I did.

I try to stay out of the arguments, but this post and a couple others here bothered me.

Lets focus on woodworking and the ancillary discussions derived from woodworking and let SMC alone.

Respectfully

Joe Mioux

Fair enough Joe.