Cordless tool battery rebuild

Tom Williams

I have 2 favorite drills that the batteries have gone south on me. The cost to replace these batteries would be more than the purchase price of a new cordless drill. However it appears that it should not be too difficult to open the case of the Panasonic to replace the cells. Anyone here (yes I know Jason Abel has) rebuilt a cordless battery? And if so, what pitfalls might there be?

Thanks Steve.

I sent you a PM Tom. Get ahold of me and I'm sure we can work something out or I can at least field any questions you may have. I'll help any way I can.

Thanks,
Jason

I have two drills, a saw, a sander and a jig saw that all use the B&D Firestorm 12V system. Four batteries and two chargers have gone south. They are all now worthless. At $200.00 to $250.00 to get rebuilt/repaired, I'm on the fence as to whether I should junk them or get the job done. There is something very wasteful about this business of forced buying of new items when the batteries go bad. Vance Packard, where are you when we need you the most?

frank, the answer is quite simple.....buy quality corded tools and stop buying into the cordless is better marketing.
honestly where do you use your cordless tools? i`m bettin` 95% of the time within 50` of an outlet.....

tod

While I agree with your answer to some extent I will plead special circumstances. My assembly bench uses 8 different drill drivers for 8 different end fittings. (2 screwdriver bits, 4 different drill sizes, a countersink and a hex driver). I use cordless because the alternative is to be constatntly untangling cords. The bench also has 2 different ROS and associated extractor vacs so minimising trailing cables pays off in time and money.

I have yet to need to replace any of these batteries but when I do will probably look for a rebuild service.

Ian, yours is a special circumstance for sure, but I agree with Tod on this stuff, buy corded, but have a few cordless as well, but reach for the corded when you can, this alone will save batteries.

Cheers!

ian, i don`t do production per-se, but i do in a way.....what i do is to use pneumatic tools, each set up for specific tasks and if i`m in full blown hustle mode i`ll pull enough lines so i don`t have to switch tools on the same line.
when i worked in production shops all the assembly areas had dedicated tools on coily hoses if the work was straight down, if the work was sideways good high quality flex hose was the ticket, usually pulled from either behind the worker or off to the right side...when i carve i use pneumatic die grinders to rough out the piece and for that i use a manifold and 1/8" polyurethane whip hoses to have as many as 8 different bits chucked up ready to go...i guess i`ve just grown used to dealing with the hoses over the years but for what i do it seams to work well....tod

Thanks Steve.

I sent you a PM Tom. Get a hold of me and I'm sure we can work something out or I can at least field any questions you may have. I'll help any way I can.

Thanks,
Jason

I have used Jason's services and I am quite happy with the results. I recommend him.:thumb:

I use pneumatic quite a bit as well tod but at the beggining of this year decided to try going cordless. I have to say that I calculate that in my setting it saves time. About 5 minutes a chair which is worth having as far as I am concerned. While I completely agree that corded or airline tools are a good first choice, there are circumstances where cordless has more advantages than just portability. It does, however also have its own associated costs as Tom's post shows.

frank, the answer is quite simple.....buy quality corded tools and stop buying into the cordless is better marketing.
honestly where do you use your cordless tools? i`m bettin` 95% of the time within 50` of an outlet.....

Actually, more like 5' from an outlet. :eek:
But, I do find cordless very handy, saves digging out an extension cord, especially when I am in the yard or doing a quick fix about the house.