Shaker Work Bench, Revisited

Jim Shaver

Hi,

Well by popular demand some people have asked me to repost some projects from my past.(my apologies to you if you have seen this before).
IMG_8631.jpg

I made this Shaker bench awhile ago (2001-2) back in the days of Badger Pond. It is mostly hard maple with cherry accents. There is very little hardware in this bench, 6 brass screws for the top pf the tail vise and 6 lag bolts used on the end caps.
IMG_8642.jpg

I was inspired to make a traditional bench with an authentic tail vice and leg vice. The wood screws were made by Howard card, he no longer makes them.
IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

I find that the bench has fit perfectly into my work style over the years.
IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

It’s based on a design from the Landis Workbench book with some minor modifications..
IMG_8630.jpg

I hope you enjoyed seeing my bench.
IMG_8569-1.jpg

Take care,
Jim

Last edited:
Beautiful. I made mine a similar style but much more basic bench. Nothing near as nice, but I love the vices. Just can not bring myself to use good wood on a bench though.

Well Jim, I think that's just a horribly ugly bench and you need to ship it to me so you can build a nice one!:rolleyes: :rofl:

I think I did see that one before, but when you put something that nice together, it is definitely not a problem seeing it again! Thanks for posting! I Love the screws and I'd really like to have a leg vise. Next bench I guess!

Very nice work Jim, and thanks for posting it. :thumb: I discovered woodworking forums before the Badger Pond days, so I'm one of many here who've not seen it before.

Hey there Jim, nice work as always! :wave:

I love the drawer fronts... and that it has drawers. Betcha don't slide that one across the floor when trying to true up a panel!

One day I'll finish mine, no drawers or top yet... at the moment its holding up a makeshift router table, but I'm so embarassed at the heresy that I won't post a picture :rofl:

Great looking bench. It looks as it makes woodworking much easier and with all the built in storage it makes keeping things dust free. You said you used a book called Landis Workbench book. When I looked on Amoazon there where several different ones. Can you tell me which you used?

Thanks all,

When I made this bench I wanted it to be a learning experience and also to make a statement about the woodworker I would like to become. This bench is my best work in furniture for the shop...it weighs about 800 pounds empty.

Al, the book is called "The Workbench", by Scott Landis, it's a Taunton publication

I am pretty busy getting ready for my surgery in two days so I will see all of you in a few weeks...

This is an explaination of my hip resurfacing surgery..http://www.activejoints.com/resurfacing.html

Last edited:
A terrific bench!:thumb:, which I didn't see before, thanks por posting it again

A bench like that carries with it a strong commitment to make great woodworking projects so keep on posting:D!!

It must be a real pleasure to work on it and with it!

Jim,

I have seen the bench before, but thanks for posting it here. Beautiful work.

I hope your surgery goes well.

Martin