Best Tool You Ever Bought?

There's an article in the latest Wood magazine, "The Best Tool I Ever Bought" where the editors show their favorite tools. I was surprised at the variety. Might be fun to see what you all like.

I'll start. Its my LN low angle block plane. Just the right size, adjusts to do just what I want it to do. Its the first tool I reach for when a joint isn't quite right.

What's your favorite?

That's like asking a father which is his favorite kid!!

My tools are so good they can read and use the internet. I'm not gonna say anything that might hurt their feelings!!! :rofl:

best?........that`s hard to pin down jesse....i suppose i`ll need to think about longivity, fit-n-finish, how well it feels, how safe i feel using it, how many memories it brings back, how versatile it is,whether i`ll be able to pass it down to my son....and if so will it perform as well for him as it has for me?
after thinkin` long and hard..................and ya` know i`ve got a few tools,...................

MVC-531S.JPG my 9/16 snap-on wrench:rolleyes:

My Delta Uni saw. It may not be the best cabinet saw on the market so I am sure that my answer would be my cabinet saw no matter what brand it was because I use it much more than any other single tool that I have.

This is an interesting question. Since I made a decision a while back to only buy quality tools, the answer to the question is usually: The one I'm currently using.

Just the other day I had to do the not-so-fun job of drilling some holes in my concrete slab. Pulled out my Bosch hammer drill and zip zip zip. Done. Great drill. Favorite tool.

Had to do some rips. Went to my PM2000. Rip rip rip. Done. Great saw. Favorite tool.

Had to do a cross cut of some laminate flooring at exactly 44.5 degrees. Went to my Hitachi dual-bevel SCMS with laser. Cut. Done. Favorite tool.

Get the idea?

:D:D:D

Maybe I have TOO many Best/Favorite Tools, because the Best or Favorite would strictly depend on what I needed to use it for at the time.:huh::dunno: No way could I ever limit my answer to just one tool, and besides all that, I have to agree with Jason, I wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I will say though that if I can "EVER" get the Shop Budget large enough to finish getting "Electricity" hardwired to my shop, that will DEFINITELY be the BEST TOOL I ever bought.:thumb:

That would have to be my Festool sheet cutting setup. I couldn't handle full sheets of plywood without it.

DT

That's easy. My Lathe. Changed my whole experience. I don't just find it useful, I like using it.

Of course, it's also my least favorite. So I guess my answer would be this: "My next lathe"... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I'd have to say, my internet connection. To this day, not one single tool in my shop has helped me more than the internet as far as getting a job done.

But if you want me to say an actual woodworking tool, I'm not sure if I bought it yet, but my favorite tool is always my newest tool. I remember when I first got my impact driver(corded of course). I thought I fell in love, but then I remembered that the same thing happened every time I got all of my other tools. Even my straight edge:rolleyes:

Maybe when I am done buying all the tools I'm going to buy, I will be able to choose a best, but that wont happen for a very long time.

Every time I get a tool that helps me complete a difficult task that I had suffered through previously, that is the best tool I ever bought. How can yo select one over another. Like selecting on child over another... "Best kid I ever had" Who is your favorite grandchild? Runs along the same mentality.

What is the tool I use more than any other?:huh: That is just as hard to name. Depends (no I don't wear them yet) on what are you working on? I do so many different things that I can't discribe my most often or most used. I do know that one tool I am proud that I got was a new set of drill bits. I got so tired of forcing bits through the softest of matter and gruntin' and cursing and finially got fed up and drove to the store and bought a good set of bits, came home and tossed out a drawer full of old bits (kept the bigger ones, I'm not stupid, and decided I will only use from the selected set.) Every time I need a hole I reach for the new batch and it is so easy to make a hole w/o splintered edges, no shoving things through my hand , not cursing and complaining... Right now it is my new bits but tomorrow it might be something different, I am so flexible and easily swayed to new gadgets.

A lot of good answers here.

My response is about like Bill Lantry's...I'd say my lathe has had the most profound impact on my woodworking. That said, I have several other tools (table saw and band saw, in particular) that make me smile each time I use them, since both a good machines that do what they were designed to do. And someday I hope to have better versions of all of them.

Tough Question... I have several that I really like, my miter saw, routers, others. But I'd have to say my favorite tool, for what he does, is my compressor!:thumb: It helps with clean-up, powers my air guns, spray guns for painting/staining and other chores around the house/shop.

I'd like to have a larger unit, and permanent piping around the shop, but that will have to wait till later...maybe after our move. For the time being, my Craftsman has been a good workhorse for me.

View attachment 11909

Last edited:
I've waited to post on this thinking I would settle on one in particular. That has not happened. So many have thrilled me just because they do what they are supposed to and do it consistently (a sad statement on quality).

For example, my saddle square isn't rocket science but I am surprised how much I use it. My pinner I just love. My MJ Splitter is a wonderful little piece of plastic. My new DP and table have proven to be better than expected for the money. I use the heck outta my shop made depth gauge. My current countersink bits could not do a better job, etc., etc.

Oh, and grandpa's Lakeside 10oz ball peen hammer.

Last edited: