busy emptying my wallet today. I pulled the trigger on a wwII, plus I picked up a pair of new bat-trees for my 'new' (last year) 18v ryobi kit, needed to use the recip saw, but the old batteries wouldn't hold a charge. New ones work great tho!

rained out on the shop this weekend, looks like the bet is lost, unless I play hooky from work some afternoon this week.

I couldn't adjust the tool rest on my lathe to be lower than the centre-line of the workpiece (it's the wrong rest), so I've Stu'd one together from scrap steel with the MIG welder and tomorrow at work I'll smooth it, straighten the top (they warp a bit when you weld) and polish up nice and smooth. This one will adjust from about 1" below to 1" above the centre line. Pictures to follow

NOTE :: please notice my stealthy yet smooth introduction of a new verb into the FWW dictionary.

Stu, Stu'd, Stu'ing : a verb, indicating an action, not just any action, but a specific action, that action being the fabrication of of items necessary to the efficient functioning of a woodworking shop. Said items to be (example of verb use) "Stu'd" together from miscellaneous parts found lying around the shop when the need for the item arose :D.

cheers eh?

Painting in the living room and more crown molding in the hall.

It's been cloudy all day, but I did slip out and mow the lawn. I really like my little tractor!

I spent most of the day helping the wife, drug half the house out on the front porch, scrubbed the carpets, tossed the love seat and sofa on the burn pile. 1/4 of the stuff is still on the porch :( Get to go tomorrow and pick up some furniture, somehow my money got spent on it :huh:

Moved my 80gallon 5hp IR Compressor from my old house to my new house.

I've gotten pretty good at moving heavy things made of out steel using my F350 lately.

I've moved my 14" bandsaw, my G1023 cabinet saw, a 1000# gun safe, and this big durn compressor.

It's all about mechanical advantage and doing it slowly.....

All I've got left is a cheesy upright piano. I've spent too much time learning how to tune the darn thing to leave it where it is!!!

Well I had a semi-productive day.....

Got up and made some breakfast for the family and then loafed around and watched a movie. Then I decided that I needed to get at least something done. So I got out the paper towels and Windex and got to work. I washed every window in the house inside and out. (Good brownie points because I wasn't asked to ;)) Then I got out and spent a couple hours cutting the grass. Then I gave the truck a GOOD thorough washing.

Well I felt pretty good about getting something accomplished today but at this point I'm still a little worried. While cutting the grass this afternoon I noticed an ambulance coming down the street with it's lights on. It wasn't moving very fast but went by and I wondered where it was going. We have several elderly couples further down the street and I thought maybe it would go that way but when it got to the stop sign it turned the other direction. Then my son came out into the yard and flagged me down. I shut the tractor off and he said that the ambulance had stopped in front of his friends house a couple houses away so I went over to the driveway and looked over that way. I saw a fire truck, two EMT vehicles and a sheriff's car out in front of the house across the street from his buddy. This is where a very nice older gentleman lives alone with his dog. As I got closer I saw several other neighbors standing in his driveway so I headed over to see what happened. Apparently he was out in the back mowing his yard and we think he had a heart attack. Two kids were playing in their back yard and they said that they saw him fall down so they went in and called 911 when he didn't get right back up. I haven't gotten any word as to his condition but he was apparently unconscious when they took him away. His next door neighbor is a nurse I think and she said that it didn't look good. I don't know him very well except for the fact that I see him often when he's out walking his dog and he usually stops and we'll chat for a few minutes. It's still tough when something like this happens though. I'm hoping that he pulls through. Please keep Ray in your prayers.

Take care all

John

Did the yards, went grocery shopping, cleaned the house, did the laundry . . hey, I live alone you know. Put up a gazebo at LOML's house, had dinner at her mom's, built the carcase for the drawer unit that is going under the workbench and got the first coat of finish on my mom's b-day present. Ordered a router table, misc. parts and additional router for my dad (told him he needed the RT before we build his tools stands . . . well, . . he duh-uzzzz). Started the plans for LOML's daughter's "wall-o-snake cages" (I forget how many 'legless lizards' she has but the unit should house 4 enclosures). Let's see . . . typed this and headed for bed ;-)

When you posted this, I was actually in bed AND asleep! Earlier, I was spending time catorizing and adding part of 150,000 trading cards to my database. It's not one of my favorite things, but has to be done before I can sell them. Amost all are right out of the pack and protected. Hope to get some turning in tonight.

Bruce

.............NOTE :: please notice my stealthy yet smooth introduction of a new verb into the FWW dictionary.

Stu, Stu'd, Stu'ing : a verb, indicating an action, not just any action, but a specific action, that action being the fabrication of of items necessary to the efficient functioning of a woodworking shop. Said items to be (example of verb use) "Stu'd" together from miscellaneous parts found lying around the shop when the need for the item arose :D.

cheers eh?

Thank goodness I did not have a name like......... oh never mind :rolleyes: :D

Very funny John, I'm flattered, but I just call it "Bodged" together, a word I learned from my English Grandfather

"Bodge - A bodge job generally means 'a job that was completed without using the correct tools'. A successful bodge is an example of creative engineering."

:wave:

Cheer eh :thumb:

Thank goodness I did not have a name like......... oh never mind :rolleyes: :D

Very funny John, I'm flattered, but I just call it "Bodged" together, a word I learned from my English Grandfather

"Bodge - A bodge job generally means 'a job that was completed without using the correct tools'. A successful bodge is an example of creative engineering."

:wave:

Cheer eh :thumb:
But Stu'd sounds better than calling you Bodge Ablett. :D (Or your full name, Bodgley Kensington Ablett III.) :rofl: Actually, I kinda like "Bodgely". :p

Hi ya' Stu :),

Thanks for taking the new FWW verb as the good humoured compliment that it was intended as. I've watched you post your various jigs and constructions and have admired them greatly as I tend to be much the same way as far as making something when I need it. At work, when there's a jig to be made or something to be modified, it's usually me who does the deed. Work is coming to an end soon, as this fall I will be officially leaving the company I started 16+ years ago. I'm looking forward to having my tools at home so that the Stu'ing that I do at home can be more professional and presentable than the stuff that I've had to make without much in the way of tools at home.
Anyway ... keep it up eh? I think that Stu'ing is a habit formed by generations of craftsman and we should keep it going eh?

cheers eh?

I'll send ya 50 internet bucks to change Stu's user name. ;)
Ah, I wouldn't change his account, but I guess there's not much stopping ol' Bodgely from signing up as a member. :rolleyes:

I can see a whole series of videos on YouTube...The Adventures of Bodgely Kensington Ablett III.