A Place to Hold the Rock Collection...

Jim Young

...that's what I need to make next. While out West on my vacation I collected lots of rock samples for my 10 year old Daughter. She wants me to make her something to hold all her rocks. I was thinking of something with a couple of drawers which had compartments. I'm looking for ideas and possibly pics of something that others may have done in the past.

Here's some ideas -

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives/may_jun_01/html/major_project.htm

Woodsmith #130:
cover-medium.jpg

Woodsmith #113
cover-medium.jpg

Well, you could make a table, with a shallow drawer, divided up or not, that slides into the table, and the table has a glass top over the area the drawer sits while closed.........?

Or you could make more of a portable case, with a sliding lid made from Lexan or something?

Jim,
My Grandmother collected rocks etc. Her large specimens were in barrister cases with different lighting to high light the different effects. Her smaller stones were displayed in thin glass front cases hung on the wall. Kind of like printers boxes with a glass door. They were very flexible to accommodate the different size stones she had.

FWIW,
Wes

You could make a shadow box with a plexi front to keep them dust free and easy to veiw.

As an ex-rockhound, I like this idea for small specimens.
Look also into "white" LEDs for lighting. A transparent stone lit from below (light shining into the rock) is awesome.

The pic isn't my work, but just to illustrate the previous statement.

Attachments

• 85_1_b.JPG
    85_1_b.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
...that's what I need to make next. While out West on my vacation I collected lots of rock samples for my 10 year old Daughter. She wants me to make her something to hold all her rocks. I was thinking of something with a couple of drawers which had compartments. I'm looking for ideas and possibly pics of something that others may have done in the past.
Hi Jim, :wave:
One way of making some nice little compartments for these little jewels would be to take two 2x4s ( naturally, better wood if available) sandwich them together and drill 1 1/2" or 2" holes down through the 3 1/2" thickness( the point of the bit going directly through the joint. A drill press would add to the precision. Leave about a 1/2" space between holes. Make the 2x4s longer than you need for the inside to inside dimension of a drawer. When you are done drilling all the holes seperate the 2/4s then measure to the depth of the half round indentation you made with the drill.
Set your table saw blade to that height + 1/8". Rip lines in the face of those pieces at the increments you think you need for your compartments. These saw kerfs will be filled with thin rippings that fill the saw kerf and create dividers for the stones.
As you can see in these photos the center run is done with the half round but they do not have the thin rippings cut in the piec to divide the spaces.
cuff link box (2).jpg

cuff link box (6).jpg
keep thinking and keep us posted. :wave:
Shaz :)