Sunday's Plans......

Stu, it's good that I don't live within driving distance of the pile of wood you left behind...I'd be sorely tempted to sneak by tonight and snag me some of that wood. ;) :p Nice haul, and I'm jealous.

Micro-vans are so versitile and cool to drive. Here's my 1998 Subaru Domingo...

I see the sign in your micro-van pic... "CAJ"... I bet I know what that means! I think they had/have a branch in Kobe, no?

Nice wood haul...with all the blank material you have to turn, you're gonna have to build a huge cabinet to show stuff off in the store! :rofl:

CAJ is the school, I don't know where else they have campuses.

You are so cruel :D

I'm very much considering selling my bowls etc on Yahoo auction, I see things that are hand made....................in THAILAND........... and brought here to sell, selling for $40 or $50 easy, so maybe I can earn some spending money for more tools that way...?

Cheers!

Notice the slight, funny stance in the pic to left - lumbago. Been keeping the hot patch on my lower back all day. It feels better then it has felt in a while. I see your getting into the stash already Stu.

Hope you back is better Alex, sure was fun running them chainsaws! :D

I've not turned anything, I'm just trying to cut the waste away and get the stuff set up to store it, I have a bit more space than you , but, space is still limited. I need to cut the stuff into blanks and then toss out the garbage, before it takes over the whole shop!;)

Cheers!

Well, I have two large bags of garbage ready to toss, and I've processed 10 blanks.............

ginko_blanks1.jpg

........... and this is just the smaller stuff, I've not even sort of started on the larger pieces :thumb:

I'd like to get them all processed and sealed up, then I can stack them somewhere and turn them when I can.

Cheers!

I don't really know what turning blanks are supposed to look like Stu but they look great, lotsa wood there.

I noticed the dartboard in the background. When do you find time to throw darts in your Dungeon?

I noticed the dartboard in the background. When do you find time to throw darts in your Dungeon?

Yep, I sure do........ when are you going to post a pic of yourself, I need a new target.............. ;) :D :rofl:

I used to throw a lot of darts, there are pubs here that exist just for this purpose, back when I had the time to go to a pub.

Cheers!

Yeah. Somewhere. Just how crowded is your dungeon Annex these days, Stu?

...art

ps: and seeing as how it is 4am by you I hope I don't see a response from you anytime soon.:rofl:

The problem with putting them in the Annex is that I've got a dehumidifier set up in there for the lumber I have drying in there. I'd rather not put these green blanks in the Annex for that reason, now if I got them roughed out, sure the Annex would be great, but unitl then, I guess I'll have to build some shelves.....more work!:rolleyes:

Well, I got nearly all the LARGE pieces processed........

ginko_processed_blanks.jpg
That big stack of wood on my table takes up a tad less space now!! :thumb:

I ended up with 7 bags of garbage :eek: Them garbage guys hate me :rolleyes:

ginko_big_cut.jpg
I just love showing off Big Blue, my bandsaw, here it is cutting to the max, and that is WET wood......

ginko_big_cut_done.jpg
Yep, the right tool sure does the job well! :thumb:

ginko_a_fine_mess.jpg
Some of you are always saying how too many shops are too clean, there needs to be some sawdust in the pics, so I thought I'd post that one for you to see.......... ;)

ginko_bs_dc.jpg
I recently upgraded the DC on Big Blue, I enclosed the bottom of the saw, and moved the DC pick up lower to let gravity help with the dust collection, works a ton better, but when cutting up this stuff, it don't seem to matter what I do, I get a mess!

The table is CLEANED right away, as that old cast iron like to rust in MINUTES when I'm cutting wet wood!

Hey Alex, want some turning blanks :D

Cheers!

Looks like you got a whole bunch of wood there ready to turn rough. I thought the garbage guys hated me. Hopefully I can get some soon maybe sometime around the end of the year holidays. Got 11 days off from the desk jockey job. :D

Looks like you got a whole bunch of wood there ready to turn rough. I thought the garbage guys hated me. Hopefully I can get some soon maybe sometime around the end of the year holidays. Got 11 days off from the desk jockey job. :D

When we come down on the 2nd, I'll be brining you some for sure!

I'm going out to pick up the rest of the cut up stuff on Sunday, so I'll have even more, how many you want?

I have NE as well as some of the longer ones too.

Cheers!

PS, they took the 4 bags I put out this AM, I'll put the rest out on Saturday :thumb:

Cheers!

Well, I've processed all but three of the pieces I brought home....

ginko_last_3.jpg
The largest one has some soft punky stuff in the middle, and the other one on the bottom has some rot as well.

ginko_figure_cracked.jpg
The triangular shaped piece has some nice figure to it, but it cracked all to heck, even with end sealer on it :(

ginko_pen_blanks.jpg
From the various pieces of waste, I did get these pen blanks!

ginko_squares.jpg
I also cut up everything I could that was of any size as turning squares, I figure there are some balls, eggs, and or small boxes lurking there! :D

ginko_total_haul.jpg
Here is the total haul, I counted 24 bowl, or HF blanks, a bunch of turning squares and 40 pen blanks, not bad work! :thumb:

ginko_4_bags_garbage.jpg
Here are the last 4 bags of garbage to go out Saturday.

Well that was fun, I go to pic up another load at Jim's on Sunday, I get to mess up my shop again and then I got to figure out where I'm going to put this stuff! :huh:

Cheers!

So what caused you to choose to turn all of this into turning stock, rather than slabbing out any boards?

Have you completely gone over to the dark side? :eek:

So what caused you to choose to turn all of this into turning stock, rather than slabbing out any boards?

Have you completely gone over to the dark side? :eek:

Nope, but there are two more logs sitting there, and I think they will be slabbed up early next year! :thumb:

Besides, I have all of this......

roof_stacks_sept_06.jpg

.........slowly but surely drying :D

Cheers!

Hey Stu,

Big job almost done. I know that you are spacially challenged in the workshop. When you come donw over the holidays you can unload some on me. If you come down on the train we can figure a workaround, maybe I can drive up to your place and do some re-sawing on the big blue at the same time. :thumb:

Hey Stu, Good for you . You are really making good use of your energy and that wood. Satisfying I'm sure. Look forward to the end result, other than this, which in itself is worthy being called an end result.Shaz

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Alex, we will drive down, about 99% for sure, my lovely wife gets sick on trains!

I got out to Jim's today (he was busy with other things) and picked up the rest of the wood that was cut up last time, I'm worried about losing it to cracks, as it was not endgrain sealed (we ran out of time and sunlight! :eek:), luckily, it rained a bit last week, and everything looked OK.

ginko_dec_3_load1.jpg
This is the load I took today, I took some of the thin branches, as I want to try to make some mushrooms!

ginko_left_wood.jpg
This is the wood pile that is still there.

ginko_big_log1.jpg
Here is the base of the tree, it is one big chunk of wood! :eek: My cap is there for scale.....
There is some bad rot in it, but I still think that Jim will be able to slab off a few good boards, or about a million pen blanks ;) :D :rofl:

ginko_big_log_rot.jpg
This is the butt of the tree, you can see a fair bit of rot going on, this is why the tree got taken down.

Heck of a day, up at 7AM to take the girls to skating, then out to Jim's back to the Dungeon, work on cleaning up an reorganizing, then had to work at the L shop for a few hours, then had my youngest down in the Dungeon working on her Xmas present for Grampa in Canada, then dinner, then back to the Dungeon to do more work. Up at 7 AM, it is now 3:30 AM, I'm a bit worn out, but got a lot done!

Cheers!