Some Skew Practice - Pens

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Continuing with the theme of stocking up for the fall shows, here are some pens I did last weekend. I'm proud to tell Stu and Ken that they were done with the skew. (OK, I got them round with the trusty ol' roughing gouge, but did all the real shaping with the skew.)

First up: four acrylic pens. Nothing fancy, just some pre-drilled and tubed blanks I got on blowout sale last year at Rockler. Used various forms of Streamline kits. These are as simple as Slimlines, but a bit fatter and more comfortable. Your basic entry-level pen. I used these four as practice, since I'd not made any pens since last winter.

DSC_3418T 800.jpg

Thoroughly warmed up, it was time to try some nicer blanks and kits that I've had in the drawer since last year.

First one, curly pyinma...not too flashy...in a 24K gold Perfect Fit kit from Berea (via Arizona Silhouette). Last of the 24K kits I had, and I wanted to use it up. Since this piece of wood wasn't real spectacular, I figured this was the right time.

DSC_3400 Pyinma Burl 1 800.jpg

Next, a very pretty piece of Russian olive burl. It's another Perfect Fit kit, but this time in titanium gold.

DSC_3408 Russian Olive Burl 2 800.jpg

And last, a really nice piece of maple burl, in a chrome Perfect Fit kit. I think this is my favorite of the three.

DSC_3411 Maple Burl 2 800.jpg

So...the blonde guy does turn more than hollow forms and bowls. :p

Opinions and observations welcome as always -

All looking very fine. I note your comment about "using up" the 24K kits. You might want to think twice or thrice about selling that at a show. Last thing you need is bad mouthing if someone buys it then finds the pretty gold wearing off after a little use. I now only use Titanium or 10K if Tn isn't available and similar durable finishes in other colors.

Vaughn very nice pens, and the skew is amazing isn't it! I am using mine more and more and maybe getting better with it!:huh:
In response to Frank's comments, I have a low/entry level pen and it is priced accordingly ($20.00) and do state clearly the finish will wear. But all that have purchased the entry pens have come back for better quality hardware and have been good customers for graduations, weddings, and the odd gift. So for me there is a place for them.

Thanks guys. Frank, I'm planning to do as Jonathan mentioned and make it a point to tell anyone who wants to buy the 24K pen that it's a less durable plating, and price the pen accordingly. I'll be doing the same with chrome vs. solid stainless steel bottle stoppers.

Thanks again -