Ramone burl and Blackwood

This came from an offcut of a small chunk of Ramone burl that I've had laying around for a while. Added a Blackwood pedestal that didn't work out on another project. 2 1/4" diameter by 6 1/4" tall, buffed Antique oil finish.

Attachments

• TS440.jpg
    TS440.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 36
  • TS440c.jpg
    TS440c.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 36
I really like that !!! The top looks like seashell and the whole assembly has a air of delicacy about it. Nicely done !!!

cheers eh?

Very cool, Travis. :thumb: Very elegant piece for a using leftovers. I'm assuming you used a vacuum chuck to reverse the bowl part and remove the tenon. Is that the case?

I'm assuming you used a vacuum chuck to reverse the bowl part and remove the tenon. Is that the case?

Vaughn, none of my vacuum chucks are that small.;) I just turned a close fitting friction drive from a piece of scrapwood. I taped the mouth to the friction drive with blue painter's tape to turn the mortice for the pedestal tenon and finish off the bottom.

Hey Travis, great looking piece! Could you expound a bit on the finishing technique? Also, when you use "black wood" do you have to add ebonization or is the wood dark enough to begine with? What did you use to do the hollowing on the cup portion?

Thanks,

I like it Travis, and it gives me some ideas for some offcuts of curly cherry from a piece I turned recently. They are too good to throw away and almost too small to be something by themselves.

Bill

Chris, I used 2 coats of Minwax Antique oil, then buffed with the Beall wheels after it cured. The Blackwood is natural, no coloring added.....just sanded to 2500 grit and Mylands friction finish, then buffed. As for the hollowing, I used the scaled down Jamieson style setup that I made for my mini lathe, with a John Jordan 1/2" curved bar and various home-made 1/2" bars/scrapers.
I know the feeling Bill, I can't bring myself to throw anything away that I "might" be able to use. ;)