What are you scared of

What are you scared of?:eek:
I have been given a gift for designing and for educating, I think :rolleyes: :D. I am a real mess when it comes to housekeeping and organization but I am great with clutter. I am really low maintenence. As you can see I am trying not to toot my own horn (can't play a lick! )That said...
There are some really great, talented folks here.
The next time you think about a project, and the idea comes to mind ":rolleyes: Hmmmm, :rolleyes:, I just need to find some plans"...How about we try to design the plans together with your needs, your limitations and the unlimited knowledge of the other helpful souls here at Family Woodworking. Personally speaking, we all need to learn to fish and catch lobster ( As Dave would say) rather than be fed today.
Shaz:D

I'm not scared of Sketch Up, but I certainly am intimidated by it. I tried it a few times and was just overwhelmed by what it could do, and yet what I could not make it do, if that makes sense at all.

I think adding to the frustration of sketchup is the fact that I can do excellent mechanical drawings. I am not trying to toot my own horn here either, but I like mechanical drawing and have some skill in making the drawings look a certain way. Its frustrating for me to try and learn something new when I know I can revert back to something that I can do quicker and faster even though it is two dimensional.

Still I look at this sub-forum as being completely under used. I have posted some ideas on here that were design and concept ideas like a crib that went in the corner of a room, or some ideas for making a cupola and weathervane. Still out of the 525 posts I have made on here, only two or so were on this sub-forum...then yeah I think its under used.

I think some people feel this sub-forum is only for sketch-up related things. In fact before I posted about the corner crib or cupola, I asked specifically if ANY design idea could be posted here, not just sketch up.

Still it is a foolish person that looks towards others to make things happen. I have a lot of crazy ideas that I should post on here to try to get ideas and thoughts generated. Maybe your post tonight will give me the kick in the romp I need.

Robert, thank you for starting this thread. I'd like it if folks felt comfortable enough to ask for ideas here. I think there is a lot of talent amassed here and it should be utilized.

I know the Design forum seems to be all SketchUp stuff. I don't want it to be that way. It just seems to have worked out that way. Please, all, use this forum to discuss and collaborate on design ideas for projects.

Although I don't have time to draw up plans for evey project folks might come up with, I would be happy to help work out things using SketchUp as my time permits. I think there's value in doing things like Bart's cabinet, the plans for which are nearly complete.

Oh, and feel free to eat your own lobsters. :rofl::D:thumb:

I'm not scared of Sketch Up, but I certainly am intimidated by it.

I found the basics of SU to be very plausibly intuitable, though a number of things (for example, altering how a texture is mapped onto a surface/object) are a bit confusing. It probably comes from my own research work decades ago when I was trying to write something that would have been a bit like neanderthal-Sketchup - hey, it was 1982 and the fastest computers available were *4MHz* with 256 KB *if* you were lucky. I had to make my own graphics card!

If you want to be intimidated try something like Daz3D. http://www.daz3d.com Now that really scares me... but just look at what some people can do with it.

I would claim that the nicest thing about SU (apart from it being available no-cost) is that the basic UI is really simple to work out and that more advanced stuff is (almost always) just a small extension from those basics.

Shaz,

Don't even start! ;) I've got the mother of all design problems down in that basement. New wall thickness means trouble for fireplace, windows, doors, uneven cieling, and that's *before* I think about all the builtins that need to go in, and she wants trim and crown. Yikes!

What I don't get is how people can actually design and build something. Even without counting my own mistakes, there are always so many things revealed or discovered, so many work arounds, that if I tried to stick to anything more than an ephemeral general sketch, I'd go nuts! ;)

But maybe that's just me and crazy east coast builders thinking differently. But I have found a pretty good explanation for why this house was built the way it was. Yesterday, I was nailing up a header, and looked up, and there, between a pipe and the wall, someone had propped a 45 year old (empty) Schlitz can! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Shaz,

Don't even start! ;) I've got the mother of all design problems down in that basement. New wall thickness means trouble for fireplace, windows, doors, uneven cieling, and that's *before* I think about all the builtins that need to go in, and she wants trim and crown. Yikes! Step back, try not to be over whelmed as you can do it and do it well! All the situations you have are merely opportunities for you to conquer the opposition with your creative abilities and a little bit of help from your friends.:thumb: Knowing the overall scope of the situation, try breaking it down into bite sized chunks. Doors and windows, getting them ready for trim with jamb extention, all of which take time but can be nicely executed. She wants crown and trim? Plan on just knocking her out with your ability to Kick it up a notch with built up molding and trim folks in Georgetowne would die for.
Remember....built-ins are just boxes attached to the wall.;) Don't tell anybody, it's a secret, but it does relieve some pressure.:D...S
What I don't get is how people can actually design and build something. Even without counting my own mistakes, there are always so many things revealed or discovered, so many work arounds, that if I tried to stick to anything more than an ephemeral general sketch, I'd go nuts! ;) The decorators here are going for "THE LOOK".:eek: Girls like that!!!..."The Look"!
We just have to figure how to get there. Start with a general plan, broken into pieces, then as you encounter a problem take your time and deal with it and push on heading for "THE LOOK"!:D...S

But maybe that's just me and crazy east coast builders thinking differently. But I have found a pretty good explanation for why this house was built the way it was. Yesterday, I was nailing up a header, and looked up, and there, between a pipe and the wall, someone had propped a 45 year old (empty) Schlitz can! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
Do the best you can and remember... "THE LOOK"!:D
Shaz

i do my "designs" in my head, or if it`s something kinda elaborate on a board. very seldom even use a square in the design stage.....in order for me to use any of the `puter design stuff i`d have to learn how to drive a `puter:eek:.....by the time i figured out how to load the program i`d allready have boards cut.....i suppose i`d be smart to take the time to learn but i try and pick fights i have a chance of winning.....

Like tod....most of my design I do in my head. I built an octagon gazebo for the LOML ......no drawings.....But I did have a lot of headaches:D

for me it's a combo of day dream designing and puter designin in the end, luckily my former job was in cad design so i've been on autocad for as long as i can remember. i can usually see it in my head but using autocad to get the dimensions is so much easier. and wouldn't you know i still mess up dimensions sometimes. go figure

as for shaz's original question, i'm scared of giving up control of the design, when designing for clients i try to take their ideas and add anything i think may enhance the design, as long as they agree, when it comes to my personal projects, i want what i want and all i have to do is convince the wife, which is usually easy because we have the same taste in almost everything.

but when i think about it and see cool and different designs from others i realize i could be missing out on alot of useful input.

chris

I'm scared of wasps, I had a couple of infestations I had to take care of and both times were some pretty frightening experiences, especially when the guys got mad and started chasing me.

Seriously though, I'd probably post a heck of a lot more on this forum, had I the time. Design is my favorite part of woodworking. It's just that I am so busy with the start up of my new WW business.

As for the comments somebody else made about SketchUp, the reason I think so many people use it is because its free, easy to use, and pretty thorough for making detailed WW designs.

I have been a big fan of the program since before Google bought it but now that everybody can use it, I like it so much better, because now we can help each other, by trading .skp files and what not.

That said, I don't see any problem with a pencil and paper and usually draw up my designs on p&p before I ever even think about using sketchup. But it is far from a requirement. Its just a useful tool.

So far we have had some great input from fellows with their ways of designing/or their attitude toward the design process. Basically consider yourself a unique individual with special interests in your life. :wave: HELLO..............!!!!!:eek: Yeah....YOU!!! :D ..... if you will at least try even the smallest project with out somebody elses blueprint,maybe you can start finding your self in YOUR/ Design/Build project. If you are willing to avoid searching for someone else's solution to something you would like to build, many folks here will assist you in finding the way to that "HAPPIER YOU"!!((:)doh:Sshees, Who let Him :eek: ... in??? ))):rofl::rofl::rofl:. Pick a suggestion you like from several offered, put it together with a suggestion from 3 other ideas, get some help on technique, add an idea of your own thinking and GET TO WORK!!!!!:wave:
Sounds Good to me.:)
Shaz