Pnuematic Staplers...any woodworking uses?

I just bought a small 18 guage staple gun. It shoots a staple ¼ wide by 1 inch long which is perfect for nailing on cedar shingles onto the side of your house. I figured if it does only my cedar shingling, it would have been worth it.

But as easy as this thing works, I was wondering if it has any woodworking uses? Other than putting a new seat fabric on my snowmobile seat and a few other carpentry rated uses, I cannot think of much else it could be used for.

I was just curious if other woodworkers have a staple gun like this and what they use it for. Surely there must be some use for it in woodworking?

Nahm just had an episode on TNYW where he used a stapler just like you've decribed for making the connector between the slats and the control rod on a set of window shutters.He made a jig that held both the stapler and the slat and when he fired it, the staple went exactly the correct length into the slat.

cheers eh?

I have a cheap Delta brad nailer/stapler, and I've used the stapler for building shipping crates for a few of my bigger cutting boards. I haven't made any real "woodworking" projects that could use them, but for simply slapping a few pieces of lumber together to make a durable box, the staples were handy.

I used mine for the trim in my garage - it's taken a beating. Also for crates and boxes and jigs - functional work only!:rolleyes::D

Wes

Jigs, Cabinet backs, screw/small parts boxes, and even for some glued shop/storage drawers.

Travis, the narrow crown staplers aren't really the best for upholstery, they are a little too narrow and cloth/vinyl will tend to tear out pretty easy. The upholstery staplers use a wider crown staple.

a 1/4 crown stapler is great for cabinet backs, thin-paint grade mouldings(think door casing on the jamb side) and any wood to wood connection where you`re worried about a slight or finish headed nail pulling through.
because most 1/4 crown guns where designed to shoot the fastener flush or slightly below the surface they don`t work for thin materials.(like upholstry)
(grinding the nose with a beltsander will fine tune the countersink deapth)

Thanks guys, I was just kind of curious.

I redid the upholstery on my old snowmobile and it was a bear. By the time you pulled the fabric tight, then tried to drive a staple into the plastic carcass of the seat, well it was almost impossible. I was thinking maybe the pneumatic one would work better. Probably not.

That's too bad. My new snowmobile...my pride and joy that certainly outranks both Patty and Alyson (well maybe not) needs a new seat. I was moving my generator around and ended up putting a puncture hole through the seat. I try to keep my sled in tip top shape so now it means I need a new seat cover. I tell you, snowmobiling is one expensive hobby!!

Snowy_Mountain.JPG

travis, i keep a paslode upoholstry stapler for fastening stuff that`s too fragile for a 1/4 crown....if memory serves(?) i paid less than a hundred bucks for it, and a box of 80 gazillion staples is under 25...they`re like lots of tools, handier than a pocket on a shirt when you need it.

I love these power driving Testosterone generating devices. They are as handy as pockets on a shop apron. I have a Framing gun, a Finishing gun, Brad guns, and 1/4" crown staplers and my newest little handy device is the 1/2" crown stapler. Framer is for "Framing" and a must for obvious reasons. The finisher is a godsend for crown molding and all kinds of casement work, The brad gun is great for assembly but it is lacking in putting in back panels or attaching thin plywood or other wood as the head (or lack of head) pulls through or drives all the way through, sometimes. The 1/4" crown stapler plants cabinet backs and thin slats in place in a secure manner. As for upholstry, there is not a sweeter device than the 1/2" crown stapler. I used to dread such jobs as my wrist, hand, & arm would lay dead beside me after completing the task, I couldn't even hold my glass of adult beverage at the end of the day. But sense obtaining the 1/2" stapler I look for jobs that need stretching cloth over a board. In fact it is so much fun, I volunteer to do other folks upholstery tasks.

Like was said, the 1/2" crown is not too expensive, I picked mine up on sale at HF for under $20 and a box of staples is pretty cheap as well. Just remember that not all 1/2" crowns are alike. The most common staple found in stores is the T-50 that fits most all hand guns, but they make special staples to fit pnumatic guns. HD and Lowes seldom have the right ones, I go to a local Hdwr store that carries them also HF has them but there are a good drive away if you run out half way through. Tod's "80 gazillion staples" won't last too long when you really get into using the gun. You will find all sorts of demands for your new hand held joy.... What else can you hold in your hand, that gives so much pleasure..... Than a new power tool...

Last edited: