Turning Exhibition

Keith Burns

This is my first real post so I thought I would post something different. Our club worked on this project fo a year and a half. We wanted to showcase our work in a gallery setting. The Memphis area galleries don't sell wood art and we wanted to change that perception. We contacted Christian Brothers University and they wanted to do an Exhibition in their Art Gallery of our work. There are 55 pieces from 20 of our members. The youngest member is 7 years old and he has a pen in the show. We have work displayed from members who are at least 80 years old. The university provided a wine and cheese reception for the opening which had an attendance of at least 250 people. We have gotten newspaper coverage as well as TV coverage from this exhibit. It runs thru October 4th so if you are coming thru Memphis and would like to see it, let me know and I'll get you directions. These pictures show just some of the work.

Attachments

• cbu001Medium.jpg
    cbu001Medium.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 43
  • cbu002Medium.jpg
    cbu002Medium.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 41
  • cbu003Medium.jpg
    cbu003Medium.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 36
  • cbu004Medium.jpg
    cbu004Medium.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 26
  • cbu007Medium.jpg
    cbu007Medium.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
  • cbu008Medium.jpg
    cbu008Medium.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 37
  • cbu013Medium.jpg
    cbu013Medium.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 35
  • cbu016Medium.jpg
    cbu016Medium.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 28
  • cbu017Medium.jpg
    cbu017Medium.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 36
  • cbu026Medium.jpg
    cbu026Medium.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Keith, I was so sorry that we didn't get back into Memphis to go to CBU to see this on Wednesday. I woke up with a headache that morning and wanted nothing more than to get to Union City and lay down. The pictures are gorgeous, the work is gorgeous, and whoever set up the displays did a great job.

So how has the response been?

(My little walnut bowl is sitting next to the lathe awaiting some time this weekend to finish it.)

Nancy (108 days)

Keith, congrats to both you and your club. It looks like there are some very talented people/kids in your club.

I was able to visit the opening for this display and there are some fantastic turnings there!

And something Keith didn't mention is that he has 4-5 of his own pieces in the display, including the segmented piece that is featured on their invitations and also in the promotions for the event (you can see it in his first picture). Very nice feather in the cap!

Like Ken, I wish I could see the show in person. Looks like a ton of talented Tennessee turners. (Say that a few times fast without spraying your monitor.) :p Congrats on getting the cover photo on the invitations, too. :thumb:

Thanks for looking guys ! I forgot to mention that the University allows the work to be sold and does not even take a commission. There has been 6-8 pieces sold. None of mine though but still have about 4 weeks left so I will remain hopeful:)