How long can we put it off?

There are things that I just plain put off doing.:dunno:
The facia on one side of the house,just an 8' piece will solve the problem, the plumbing leak, so minor but it is causing a stain on the sheet rock ceiling.
Why procrastinate when it would only take a short time to do the repairs? :huh:Do you have those places that just are not at the top of the list, even when you are bored with nothing to do?
Chime in or just let me hang out here!!!!!:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:I am just trying to feel busy so I don't have to think about the plumbing!!!!!!:doh::rofl:
Shaz :)

I have them. I don't know why they refuse to percolate to the top of the list. Now and then I'll find myself watching finish dry and take care of one. It only takes a small amount of time and once done I marvel at my ability to ignore some things. There's a roll-top desk in two pieces that has been monopolizing my living room and music room for MONTHS. It refuses to cry out loud enough to garner my attention. One of the pitfalls of living single; there's no one to nag me into taking care of some of these things.

It's always a never ending battle...I finally had to cut back on the garden this year because of so much to do in the house. Seems like the more you do...the more you find out you have even more than you thought....:doh:

Wish it were just my house, my son's house, my daughter's house, my mom's house, my aunt's house, my m-i-l's house.... and the houseboat....

(I'm retired :rofl:)

You are a trouble maker! :bang:

We moved to a house built in 1978. Not all that old, but one of the previous owners was 'creative', I'm afraid.

The added a 'bedroom' in the garage. So instead of a 3 bedroom 2 car garage house, they sold it as a 4 bedroom 2 car garage. It's just that the 4'th bedroom takes up a chunk-o-garage. Gonna have to demolish that... :thumb:

And then there is always something to todo. They remodeled the kitchen, but vented the range using a microwave vent back inside the house. Stupid. Now I've got to run the vent to the outside. Not a 'huge' chore, but one that will require crawling around in the attic, planning, thinking, etc...

But I love the location!

Hey.....because of the calloused and calculated actions of a bunch of idiots, some of whom reside here.....I've managed to put off finishing my shop for 18 months......:D

Hey.....because of the calloused and calculated actions of a bunch of idiots, some of whom reside here.....I've managed to put off finishing my shop for 18 months......:D

My shop is not finished on the inside either. I was hoping that maybe I can use some of the siding I am taking off my house and use that inside the shop. Its log siding so I can use it for the walls or ceiling...we'll see??

As for procrastinating, I think we all do that. Sometimes we look over stuff so often that we no longer see it. For years I went without outlet covers on my outlets. I did not have any kids so it was no big deal, but then one day I took a picture of something and in the background was this uncovered outlet. Someone pointed it out right away...almost shocked that it did not have a cover on it.

I found the best way for me anyway to combat procrastination is to write a list. I write down what I want to do, how long I think it will take me time wise and the cost. Its just a simple 3 column list. As the weekend progresses I work the three columns to my advantage. Do I have enough time to knock out some quick tasks? Do I have the money or supplies to do another task, or of course what is my top priority. I also find myself racing myself to see if I can get them done in the time frame I estimated. (I know, I'm strange)

One other thing I do that is rather strange is if I do something that is NOT on my list, I write it down and cross it off. Its weird but I guess gives me the satisfaction of seeing that I did something. My mother admitted she does this too. I guess being strange runs in the family. :)

One of the pitfalls of living single; there's no one to nag me into taking care of some of these things.

YOU SUCK!! Yes I am yelling. How dare you toss that massive gloat in knowing full well there are married men on here that have to endure the "flap" as I call it. :)

My good man, you don't know how much my wife nags? Its getting to the point of being unendurable!! She's always flapping her lips about something. If you feel left out, just come on over to 945 East Thorndike Road and you will get your share...in about two minutes time!!

Count your blessings man. I remember having peace and solitude between wives. Yep something like 245 days of that zen like state. Of course I am not really trying to pass Patty on to another man. I would never do that to someone I like...especially a fellow FWWer!! :rofl:

Its kind of funny because I mock-complain about being married and yet in 2004 I was married to two different woman. Tina and I got divorced in January, and Patty and I wed in October. I guess I got no one to blame but myself, but man were those 245 days some peaceful!

There are things that I just plain put off doing.:dunno:
The facia on one side of the house,just an 8' piece will solve the problem, the plumbing leak, so minor but it is causing a stain on the sheet rock ceiling.
Why procrastinate when it would only take a short time to do the repairs?

Why? Because I'd rather... (read this book, read the paper, read FWW, watch this movie, play with my kids, build something in the shop, etc, etc, etc)

But really, I fix plumbing immediately, whenever there is an issue. So no dripping taps. No broken lightbulbs, or whatnot.

The things that are left are things that neither my wife, nor I, think are important enough to be at the top of the todo list. So the vinyl floor in the kitchen/hall has some tears in it. So the curtain-closing-thingy in the living room is unattached at the bottom. So the kitchen windows need better curtains.

ttfn
...art

How Long can we put it off

It's been two years since we were hit by Hurricane Rita and I still have a long
way to go on getting all of the trim up in the house. I should've finished it long ago but haven't gotten in a hurry. I just work on it when the spirit moves me. LOML wishes the spirit would move me more often.

My shop is not finished on the inside either. I was hoping that maybe I can use some of the siding I am taking off my house and use that inside the shop. Its log siding so I can use it for the walls or ceiling...we'll see??

As for procrastinating, I think we all do that. Sometimes we look over stuff so often that we no longer see it. For years I went without outlet covers on my outlets. I did not have any kids so it was no big deal, but then one day I took a picture of something and in the background was this uncovered outlet. Someone pointed it out right away...almost shocked that it did not have a cover on it.

I found the best way for me anyway to combat procrastination is to write a list. I write down what I want to do, how long I think it will take me time wise and the cost. Its just a simple 3 column list. As the weekend progresses I work the three columns to my advantage. Do I have enough time to knock out some quick tasks? Do I have the money or supplies to do another task, or of course what is my top priority. I also find myself racing myself to see if I can get them done in the time frame I estimated. (I know, I'm strange)

One other thing I do that is rather strange is if I do something that is NOT on my list, I write it down and cross it off. Its weird but I guess gives me the satisfaction of seeing that I did something. My mother admitted she does this too. I guess being strange runs in the family. :)

Ok. Wait a minute. Uh. . . . .Shops get finished!?! News to me :D

My to do list:

Finish insulating hot water lines under the house
Replace rotten piece of brick mold (don't even have to get on a ladder to do it and less than 20 ft from shop)

Repair condensation line for upstairs AC that I stepped on and broke under the house (LOML doesn't know I did that)
Finish the 2 playhouses I started (I am to the point I am sick of them).

Finish painting the front porch (I despise to paint).

On and something I haven't figured out how to do that I will put up a separate post on.

One of the pitfalls of living single; there's no one to nag me into taking care of some of these things.

Yeah, but if Jean wasn't around, I'd still be stacking rocks for the foundation... as it stands now, we got the phone moved up from the trailer today, and 8 batches of stucco on the wall. I chickened out on moving her piano though... pro's coming tomorrow with his insurance coverage.

Not trying to be anything special, but I drop everything to repair my home. Much cheaper that way. If I have a leak behind the spouting which I scout in the heavy rain storms I seal it off, saves the faca. Just a old farm boy that uses the theory of grease and oil is cheaper than parts and labor. Just my .002 or less.
Chuck

Had a storm come through last January...had 3 trees go through our 6' cedar fence. I got one section, with the most damage, done in Feb.

but the other 2 just got propped up and the raspberry bushes soon gave me the excuse to not get near them....:doh::D

Last week my wife got out the trimmers and took away my excuse, so yesterday I repaired the sections back to normal.