Woodworking in the Netherlands

I used to have a pair of clogs, they were real comfortable. In Germany many years ago they didn't look so out of place. Wear them hear and you might get hauled off with a coat with really long sleves.

I don't know, Jim. There are a number of ologists and CRNAs that I work with who wear clogs in surgery. Well, only one weird ologist that I can think of wears wooden soled ones. :D

BTW, is one of those beers for me?

I had a fellow from Denmark working with me for several years, Frank Skriver. He always wore clogs, but with no heels( by heels I mean he could just slide his foot in unrestricted) He did have an elevated heel on the sole.. Anything from step ladders to climbing up on a roof.:dunno: He was talented too.

The proper word for these is "Klompen" and the guy who made them was the "Klompenmaker" (pronounced klom-pen-mahh-ker)

Either FWW or Woodwork magazine had an article a few years ago about a fellow in the states, maybe in Michigan? who had learned the art and was busy hand making klompen. I bet you can still find a demo like this in Holland, Michigan.

Definitely green woodworking. Good luck trying to carve these in dry wood.

My folks are post-WWII dutch immigrants and when I was a kid we always had a pair by the back door. Very handy to just slip into them and tromp out to the garden or garage for a moment. They'd last a couple years before the bottom rotted out, and then it was off to the dutch import store to buy another pair.

Now the kind that are slip on - with a wooden sole and a leather upper, we've never seen there. My folks picked theirs up when they were back visiting the Netherlands.

Hi there.

I might be wandering out of thread here but clogs are/were not only used in the Netherlands but in many other european countries as well, even here in Spain where they are still used in some country areas, and they do have specific names depending on the region and their shape.

In cold areas people used to fill them with hay, in this way your feet will be comfortable, cushioned, insulated and hence warm. There is a clog design that has four little short legs to give them more grip on muddy ground.

Then too in Holland I believe, my X and I bought some children's wooden shoes. The boy's were rounded toes and the girls were pointed, or vice versa.:dunno: Any ideas why? ( We are in for some stories now!:rofl:)
Shaz :)

Just a few shots.

Attachments

• almadre_as2.jpg
    almadre_as2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • almadre_as.jpg
    almadre_as.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo264.jpg
    Photo264.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo265.jpg
    Photo265.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 8
  • soucht2.jpg
    soucht2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 8
  • wnhx9mxc2kohz3hg.jpg
    wnhx9mxc2kohz3hg.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 7
When my wife came to Belgie to spend the summer with me one year, I took her to Amsterdam and among the sightseeing we took a tour to see the tulips and cheese places and at one shop we got to watch them make the wooden clogs with a machine like that, (and a couple of other machines to do certain operations on the shoes. It was very interesting, and REALLY FAST too. We however declined the opportunity to buy any though as they just didn't fit my image of anything "Comfortable" for my feet.:D