G0513X Owners, How Do You Like It?

glenn bradley

I have a line on a G0513X for a good price. I was planning on a tall Rikon 14" but, its a pretty good deal. So, what do you like / dislike?

TIA

Glenn

The pre-extreme (non-X ) version has gotten great reviews. I only know one person with one, he loves it. To save face here, buy it then lie about the color. :rofl:

I'll try not to offend the bear-haters if I get it. I know how that sort of thing goes though. I know people who love their Jeeps. I'll never own another one. Some experiences make us swear-off forever, eh?

Looks like I'll pick it up tomorrow. I hope Don doesn't put me on his blocked list if I post some pics. I like Don.

Thats quite the predicament, you could either post pics and risk being blocked, or you could not post pics and it never even happened. Tough call, Glenn.

I own a G0555 and it is one of my favorite tools, what's important is that it gets the job done and it does.

Glenn,

If it's any consolation, let me offer some advice, and take it for what it's worth. I'm not a big fan of Grizzly, but their stuff is ok, and I do own a Grizzly mini-mill, but I bought it used and got a great deal on it.

I very rarely buy new tools, but I do envy the folks that own the nice European sliders and imported band saws. So I primarily limit my purchases to what I find used.

For the level of machine that you're buying, as long as you're getting a decent price on it, I don't see how you can go wrong. Given the choice to buy new, I'm not sure I would buy Grizzly, but I certainly would buy it used. When I bought a band saw, I ended up with a Jet 18X, but honestly, I'd of bought a used Grizzly. The Jet is the last new machine I purchased, and since have bought 3 or 4 used machines. I mostly only buy used stuff now.

My view on Grizzly is that they offer the MOST feature/function at the BEST price. They do it by cutting corners, using low cost shippers, and borrowing ideas rather than creating them. They have their fair share of damage in this process, but make good and have a decent reputation. It's a company that you will most likely see only a few innovations from, they're a follower and not a leader, IMO. They make quality machines for home enthusiasts though, and many will argue they have industrial quality machines, and they do have some...it's just not their target market. The 513x is a great machine for the home shop, and certainly is not going to fall apart.

Used machines are often the best value, IMO, and why I try to buy most of my tools used. When I find a vintage industrial quality band saw, I'll be selling my Jet. Nothing wrong with buying a used Grizzly, someone else has already gone through making sure everything works properly, and has made Grizzly make good if there was any damage in shipping. Maybe he'll even help you move it!:dunno:

...They make quality machines for home enthusiasts though, and many will argue they have industrial quality machines, and they do have some...it's just not their target market...
I don't have any facts to back it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Grizzly makes the more of its money from their industrial customers than the home market. I do agree with your assessment though...pretty good stuff in general for home shops, at least in my experience. Good bang/buck. I also agree the OWWM stuff can also be very viable option, especially if you like playing with the mechanical stuff, too.

We'll be expecting pics, Glenn. ;)

Glenn, I'm sure you will enjoy that saw, the secret of bandsaws is making sure they are tuned up, and they have a good blade on them.

I think that with the Grizzly, this is very doable.

I too like buying good used machines and I enjoy the monetary savings, and don't mind the time "Spent" on the restore. Some guys are not in the same situation, they need to save the time, and don't mind spending the money (or it is the only option they have).

For any of one out there who is interested in fixing up old machines, but do not think you can do it, I'll bet you can. The tools involved are fairly basic, and places like this, and OWWM are a great resource.

There is so much talk about recycling stuff, I think that a good old machine, which has served for a long time, restored and brought back to life, to work for another generation (or two) is just about the best recycling you can do.

Glenn, again, congrats on the saw, we all are looking forward to your report and some pics! :thumb: :wave:

congratulations on your new (to you) saw glenn! the wood doesn`t know what color saw is cuttin` it.....get some sharp blades, tune it up and use it!
if it does what you need cool, if it doesn`t start lookin` for an upgrade. you shouldn`t loose any money buying and maintaining a used saw.