Maple Cabinets, Staircase, base trim

Yep. Thats right Robert. I showed up wednesday after dinner expecting doors to be hung. After working around the installer, changing rooms to many times, not really getting anything done, I just packed and came home.

Sagging floors & walls! OOPs did someone forget to design in the finished floor material to the beam/floor joist spans?? Boy those architects are sure clueless ;) ....beautiful work Steve

Sagging floors & walls! OOPs did someone forget to design in the finished floor material to the beam/floor joist spans?? Boy those architects are sure clueless ;) ....beautiful work Steve

I actually talked to the homeowner/ contractor about that sagging floor the other day. Mainly so if they got under there and jacked it up, and my base popped off, it wasn't my problem.

He told me the sun room wasn't in the plans originally, it was an afterthought.:eek: So there wasn't and engineering there, just barn :eek: framing.

He said he planned to pour footing, then use concrete blocks and wall it up underneath.
This, to me, should have been done before they laid the floor joists. But:dunno:

Been a while since I have updated this whole house job.

I had to order more base and cap, as the homeowner didn't estimate enough. Got that in 2 days ago.

Had my wife stain the base today.

While she was at it, I decided to have her stain all the staircase parts that have been here for weeks.

Shown are 52 balistors, 4 newel posts, and 2 14' handrails.

Stain mix is the same as the base and kitchen cabinets. 3 parts early american, 1 part red mahogany.

I think my wife did a bangup job for her first time spraying stain.:thumb:

Just as a cost perspective on stairs, those parts shown in my finish room total $3500.00 and some pennies.
The newels were $364.00 each. If I would have had the time, I would have made those. But-------------------

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
Your "helper" made a dent in that staining. It does look like she did a good job spraying. Having her help as with Denise over with Marty, not all the time, but when they do it's like Manna from heaven and the elves came to help the cobbler make shoes, if you know what I mean. Good to see some paying production coming out :thumb: .Look forward to that installation and mantle you intend to build. Post when you feel like it.:wave: Bye for now,
Shaz

Last edited:
its to late or is it bout time?

now you got two choice's you can say man that was great and let her go back the kitchen or you can say man that was really nice to have you help out and have new reasonible helper full time:) now that would relate to more time for you to have some fun time doing what ever you like. oh an dthanks for th great idea in your finishing room.. i donty miss much you sly fellar:D

Hi Steve. Very nice work you do. I am glad to see your back up and running......and it seems you are indead running as much as you have done on the house.
I love the idea of the staining racks. You are indeed a craftsman.
Reg :thumb:

Been a while since I've made an update here.

Staircase in almost finished. I worked furiously thursday and friday installing the shoes, rails, balistors, and trim.
Today I ran the bullnosing for the treads on the molder. Am staining and finishing now. I will install these tomorrow and take pics.:)

Also today I have started the mantel for the gas fireplace insert.

Heres the hunk of maple for the top of mantel. I've found two pics that I like. Think I'm going with the one with legs.

Mantel is going to be about ten inches deep, 73" long, and about 10 tall.
Double crown molding under the slab of maple.
Maple slab is 2 3/8" thick. That ought to be a two person job slinging this baby up on the wall.

Last edited:
Slab is ripped to width, cut to length.
Heres the profile I am going to run on the bottom side edge. This is actually a table edge bit.
Bit is mounted in my big honking D-handle router.

Last edited:
Ok. Bottom profile edge is routed. Mantel top is laying upside down here.
Swinging this big honking router this evening got me wound up. Got my thrill tonight:eek: :D

Going in and crashing. I'm pooped;)

Last edited:
Mantel is about done. Used some leftover crown from the cabinets, thats why the red streak ;)

What ya think?

Last edited:
Finished up the staircase yesterday. Installed all the bullnosing, filled some nail holes, etc.
Had a mad moment when I got to the house.:(
The carpet layers sweep all the trash down onto the steps from upstairs:(

Deep breath, clean them up, and get to work.

Last edited:
Finished up the staircase yesterday. Installed all the bullnosing, filled some nail holes, etc.
Had a mad moment when I got to the house.:( You know Steve, it breaks my heart to see this common disrespect for the work we do, but you know it too, they don't know any better. All we can do is clean it up and go on, they meant no disrespect for you, hopefully someday, before we choke the little B%&$#@*S :rofl: (my acronym for sweepers that don't sweep up, they sweep down):D they will come to appreciate a craftsman's work.
The carpet layers sweep all the trash down onto the steps from upstairs:(

Deep breath, clean them up, and get to work.
Best thing you could do.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

One more pic...
Hi Steve :wave: ,
You have a beautiful piece of work there, with those stairs. That balastrade is very, very nice, treads and all are very appealing to the eye.
Congratulations,
Shaz
Now let me ask, what do you think about the mantle so far? :rolleyes:

Mantel. Hmmm. It needs something else on the bottom. Not sure though.
I got half a mind to call it done. Maybe I'm getting lazy this evening.:eek:
I've got it in the finish room. Stained.

Mantel. Hmmm. It needs something else on the bottom. Not sure though.
I got half a mind to call it done. Maybe I'm getting lazy this evening.:eek:
I've got it in the finish room. Stained.
Hi Steve, :wave:
As you mention something else on the bottom, I am seeing the mantle getting smaller and smaller from top to bottom in three visually equal parts, as seen in the second photo. Could you add more below the bead on the same level as that above the bead, maybe flat, same plane as above the existing bead then add another bead but this one is sticking out beyond the new flat face? I did a little drawing to explain an idea but if you left it as is, I think you still have a winner:thumb: Remember my ideas are just suggestions, and your thoughts are as good as mine.
mantle (450 x 600).jpg Rest well, you have done good.:)
Shaz