Maple Cabinets, Staircase, base trim

Hey hey. Yes Shaz. We are on the same page looks like.
Yesterday I was thinking of just maybe another 3/4 board down there.
Rounded over both edges, protruding past the bottom, say maybe 1/2" or so. I'll dwell on that, and I like the added flat drop down after the bead detail.:D
I like the bottom drawing better.
I'll dwell on that today.
I am switching back to the Oak kitchen cabinet job today.
I have two customers on my tail, trying to do two jobs at once.

steve

things are looking great. keep up the good work. stairs are something i don't think i could tackle. so i admire you for being able to do that and do it well.

question on staining that maple. do you have problems with the maple blotching with the dark stains? if so how do you combat this? i like using maple, but i can never get it to stain right. :huh:

thanks much
chris

Blotching is a problem usually with maple.
But not too much with this job.
Customer likes the differences in color. ;) :thumb:
So I haven't worried about it.

Past experiences, I usually let the stain dry for 10-20 minutes, then just go over the lighter areas again.

Ok. Back on the maple job.
I have been doing the oak cabinets [two different jobs going], got those people satisfied for a while.
Now the customers with the maple cabs, staircase are starting to holler:eek:
[Oh Steve, where are you:huh: ]

Bottom of mantel, with everyones input, I milled a 5/8x2 piece and attached to the lower part of the mantel. Much better :thumb:

Headed back to the finish room to finish the stain.

Last edited:
looks great steve.

hopefully those customers remember you had a major set back and understand it's taking some time to get caught up. but being busy is a good thing i guess, at least it means money is on the way.

C

Yea. Its probably 40 pounds now.:eek:

Luckily I was there in the house before the drywall went up.
I usually try to be if they call me early enough.
We discussed staircase, cabinets, mantel placement, etc.
I had the builder hang a couple of 2x4's on the wall studding for mantel attachment.
I will just level them with shims, hang the mantel, and put a couple of large screws through the mantel down into the 2x's.

I also had him put blocking on all the walls for hanging upper cabinets.
2x8's between all the studs at a certain height. Makes for easy cabinet hanging. No hunting for the studs.:thumb:

Look to the left of pic where mantel goes

Last edited:
that's a good idea steve, doubt i'd be able to get builders to do that for me, especially the part for the uppers. of course most times the walls aren't painted around here so i can see where the screws were mudded on the drywall.

gonna look great when it's all in

C

Sometimes you have to pick them builders hammers up and speak to them with it. :eek: ;) :D

Mantel is done, finished as of yesterday.

Today is--build the upper ET=Bookcase cabinets that go in the living room, one each side of the mantel.

Custom run fluted stile's by-----Me:D ----- on my ol belsaw.

One down, one to go, plus the shelving. Then stain and finish :thumb: :D

No cabinet backs, She wants the wall exposed. :huh: :dunno:

Last edited:
Mantel is done, finished as of yesterday.The mantle is really nice and one they will enjoy, way to go Dude!

Today is--build the upper ET=Bookcase cabinets that go in the living room, one each side of the mantel.

Custom run fluted stile's by-----Me:D ----- on my ol belsaw. Nice touch :)

One down, one to go, plus the shelving. Then stain and finish :thumb: :D

No cabinet backs, She wants the wall exposed. :huh: :dunno:
Hi Steve, :wave:
It is so close and so nice, the owners must be thrilled. Your work is well done.:thumb: Congrats,
Shaz

Thanks Shaz :wave:

Second case is ready for finish almost. A tad more sanding.

Just hauled it's twin out of the finish room. Its done. :thumb:

Tomorrow afternoon will be installing oak laundry cabs [sitting under the maple case on floor].

Sunday, off to install mantel and upper cabs.

Going to be a loooooong weekend.:D

Last edited:
Finished up the install on the upper ET-bookcase cabinets and mantel today.:thumb:
Added crown molding to the top of cabinets to finish them off.
Got the mantel hung.
Homeowner was there installing the flat screen TV. Helped him hoist in up there before I left.
Sorry for the somewhat bad pics. Sunlight was coming through the huge living room windows, and just couldn't find a decent spot without shadows.

I think the cabinet would have looked better if the walls above them had been framed in straight across the top of cabinets. That inset on the walls, going clear to the ceiling, just doesn't appeal to me. But thats the way it is----

All I have left on this maple job is about a bazillion cabinet doors. I'm gonna be sick of doors I think:eek: ;) :D

Last edited:
Steve,
from one ugly mug to another, you have done good....;) ( I think i have more hair than you though) I like the proportions of you mantle shelf.....could your clients have hung that TV any higher???? my neck hurts just thinking about it :huh:

Steve,
from one ugly mug to another, you have done good....;) ( I think i have more hair than you though) I like the proportions of you mantle shelf.....could your clients have hung that TV any higher???? my neck hurts just thinking about it :huh:

Lol. More hair?:huh: :D

I agree on the height. Way too much :huh: :dunno:

The TV had a built in base already. It would have set right on the mantel, not protruding past.
Guess they can buy a couch with ladder? :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

On to the cabinet doors.

Theres enough parts laying around here for 54 maple raised panel doors.
I'm sick of doors already :bang:

Got all the parts finshed up this morning. Rails, stiles, panels unclamped, cut to lenght and width, and profiled. :D

My wife sanded all the panels, so I am in the process of assembling doors.

Tomorrow will be assembling, edge sanding, finish sanding, boring holes for euro hinges. Need to get them in to the finish room to start the staining process.

Last edited: