Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well... I am praying to

Well... I am praying to

..the woodworking gods next weekend because I have to install this bathroom vanity, wall panel with pilasters and all associated trim. There is also mirrors and accent panels for the walls which have the plumbing fixture attached to it and the lights. The vanity will be topped with a green stone top that curves around the vanity and then returns straight to the wall, splitting a pair of the pilasters in half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cnv0160.jpg   Cnv0161.jpg   Cnv0162.jpg   Cnv0163.jpg   Cnv0164.jpg  

Cnv0165.jpg   Cnv0166.jpg   Cnv0167.jpg   Cnv0168.jpg  

Very unique! Your design interpretation of what the client asked for, I'm guessing?? Beautiful work, and a beauritul piece of furniture. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Paul, all I can say is....AMAZING.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

this may help....

explain it a bit better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vanitydesign.jpg  

Steve Clardy Guest
    Sure got a lot of curvie work going there Paul

Paul,

That's sure a nice vanity. Is that your design? It sure has an 'architects' flair to it!

So, what kind of wood? Finish?

I'd also be interested in construction details on how you did the curve work.

Oh, and I'd obviously like to see the finished installed product, if that's possible...

Very very nice...and good luck with the install...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

cool paul! good luck on the install
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Looks great Paul, the install is always the nerve racking part.

Richard

Paul,
    Beautiul work and unique design. How did you build the doors and base?

Brian

Thanks for looking guys. It is based upon a picture that the client saw and they liked. Orginally it was going to be Fiddleback Anigre but the cost of the 4x8 sheet alone was about 350! That on top of the fact that I would have had to vacuum bag the vanity in order to veneer it to match up the grain flecks really drove up the cost of the project.

Instead we decided to go with all solid wood for the vanity, maple on top cherry below and use maple veneered ply for the pilasters and wall panels. The cones are made via solid wood with beveled and tapered staves. It prooved to be a very tricky undertaking to get the two cones to match as they did. Each cone took about a week to glue up, as I could only glue so many of them since clamping was so tricky. After all glued I then used cabinet scrapers and my big Rotex to smooth out the slight ridges. I ended up using 24 staves for each cone as this allowed to get a realtively "smooth" curve. The hinges are another story all together. I can tell you one thing I am really glad I had a Slider to cut those staves. One simple jig and I was in stave heaven.
    Last edited by Paul B Cresti; 11-27-2006 at 12:55 AM.