Vacuum Rig

Stuart Ablett

OK, I have a decent vacuum pump......
cutevac_1.jpg
........and now I want to make a "Vacuum Rig", I've had a good look at www.joewoodworker.com and I think his article on the EVS Set Up looks like the way to go, at least the concept, if not the actual system.

Some of the things he talks about in his EVS I'll get from him, as I have no idea where to get them here in Japan.

I was wondering if anyone else has built this type of system and can offer some advice?

I want to use it for a vacuum chuck on the lathe, and a vacuum bag for veneer.

Cheers!

BTW, the 20mm ID hose, I think they call it "Braided Tubing"
tube-braided.jpg
I got for the vacuum pump, well, if I stick one end on the pump, and block the other end, the pump sucks it flat as a pancake in about 2 seconds......Maybe this pump is a bit too big??? :rolleyes:

stu, for your bag go ahead and pop for polyurethane over vinyl you`ll be glad you did.. if you intend on doing wierd stuff go 20 mil for flat work 30 mil..

Thanks Tod, the "Weird Stuff" I assume you mean wavy, curvy etc, I imagine you are saying 20 mil (thinner) as it will conform better to the "Weird Stuff".......??

30 Mil for flat stuff, OK, I get that :thumb:

I'll most likely order the bags from Joe woodworker, as I'll be ordering some other stuff from him, and shipping is always the killer, so I'll do my "Buy the best I can" thing. No sense in buying cheap, and paying for shipping, IMHO.

Cheers!

i`ve never delt with "joe".....i get my bags from qualityvak....nice guys there too if you`re interested?

... BTW, the 20mm ID hose, I think they call it "Braided Tubing"
View attachment 12335
I got for the vacuum pump, well, if I stick one end on the pump, and block the other end, the pump sucks it flat as a pancake in about 2 seconds......Maybe this pump is a bit too big??? :rolleyes:
Stuart,

That looks like the same type of tubing I use, but mine is 1/4"ID whereas yours is more than 3/4"ID. Is there a reason you went with such a large ID? I've never seen a system, even in commercial shops, where anything larger than 1/4"ID is used. The larger ID tubing will be much more likely to collapse.

bill, my large bag has a pair of 1/2" id hoses evacuating it and my small bags use one 1/2" hose for them. but you are correct that a larger id hose will collapse easier than a smaller one given the same wall thickness and construction.