My trigger finger got itchy again....

New lathe yesterday......and I just placed an order for an MM-16.

I looked and researched....Laguna...Mini-max.....Agazzani.....

Deciding factor.....Mini-max very generously gave one to Steve Clardy when his shop was wrecked this past winter!

Now I have to get that shop done......:rofl::rofl::D

i think you`ll be happy with this one too ken!
you`re not going to be able to keep working with a finished shop and all these new toys calling you:rolleyes:

Deciding factor.....Mini-max very generously gave one to Steve Clardy when his shop was wrecked this past winter!

That is a great reason to buy from Mini Max. I thought that I had kept up with Steve's saga but I missed that somehow. I wish that the Mini Max generosity story could be spread throughout the woodworking industry somehow without appearing pushy. If I ever get to the point that I can purchase that quality of a tool I know that Mini Max will certainly have a huge head start on anyone else. I think that would be true of a lot of people.

I feel really good for you Ken. I don't know anything about lathes but I'll bet that you are going to really love that bandsaw.

Ken, you really need to get that itch problem checked out. :rolleyes: They've got antihistamine creams now, ya know. :D

Congrats (again). I think you picked a great reason to go with MiniMax...doesn't hurt that it's great saw, too.

I got 1/2 of the shop painted.....Finished last night about 9?30 P.M.

Happen to be home for lunch...the phone rang....trucker gave me a 10 minute warning......

We got it into the shop......

MM-16..........

Photos this evening....

back to work.....

sooooo, did ya` just pick it up off the truck and carry it into your shop?:rolleyes:

No......but he couldn't get his tractor trailer along side my house. So I grabbed 3 sheets of 1/2 plywood and he and I and a neighbor used the truck driver's pallet jack. Pull forward 8' ...move 2 sheets of plywood....pull forward 16'....move 2 sheets of plywood.....Right into the shop. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it off the pallets.....plural.....It shipped on a pallet and someone decided it need to be on a 2nd pallet. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can rent a engine hoist that will go to 7'5" with a couple of extra inches....

Tell the photo cops they take off their boots and put the tenny runners back on.......

I wasn't able to locate an engine hoist that would raise high enough to lift this thing off it's pallets.....Tomorrow I've got a couple of alternatives to seek out....

The PM 3520B delivers tomorrow AM ....without the bed extension.....It's shipped but not here yet and if I don't take delivery tomorrow, it'll have to wait until October as I'm busy and will be in Illinois for 4 days....so I'll take it without the bed extension and worry about it later...

Here's the MM-16 still in the wrappers......

mm1.JPG

mm2.JPG

mm3.JPG

mm4.JPG

BTW....Nancy...you'll notice about 60% of the walls and ceiling are final coated with satin white exterior enamel.

Ken, now that I see the way your saw is on the pallet, I think you can get that off there yourself without any extra tools/machinery.

My BS came like yours did on a pallet also. After much wondering and then talking with a couple of WW buddies, who live to far to help, I tackled the job myself.

I slowly rocked the back/spine of the saw to the edge of the pallet. As about half of the saw was off the pallet it just tilted back, with my guidance, and the back edge of the base touched the floor. A little more rocking and pulling and the front of the saw had cleared the pallet at which time I eased the front down on the floor.

I did this by myself, but if you have someone that can help that would be a good thing.

By the way the shop is looking good. :thumb: Didn't think I'd ever see the day though. ;):D

Karl

You are going to love all those white walls.

Also looks like you have plenty of plugs.

Looking good.

I also think you and a friend can get the BS off the pallets. As said above, just tilt and work it off the pallets. You might rig a 3/4" of plywood to as slide to bring it off the pallets.

I have the wheel kit on my Laguna HD16 and love it. I never thought that I would need to really move the BS but now I move it alot and it is so easy.

Keep on posted ( with Pictures )

Congrats on the new tools.

As far as getting that MM16 off the pallets...tod hit it on the head. A bridge crane is easy to make and will be your friend. Here's a link to the one i built and used to pull my big iron off pallets:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=30225&postcount=1019

And here's a shot of the one Craig built to move that monster he added to his shop:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=35265&postcount=5

BTW, forget about an engine hoist. They don't span a pallet, so they're useless. I have one...I know...:doh:

You appear to have the start of the crane right there in those sheets of plywood. Let us know if you need better details on the construction...

Good luck, be safe...build that crane!
- Marty -

First a big Congrats on the new Band saw.

If I ever am able to upgrade from what I have now, I'll be looking to buy one based on how they were with Mr. Clardy as well. I am sure they scored major points with anyone who was reading about Steve's disaster on this forum as well as others, and came to his aid.

Now maybe if you got a few coins left, you can get a picture for your avatar....:rofl:

We miss your smiling face.:thumb:

just a friendly reminder ken........you`ve got a bad back and the saw (and lathe) are heavy! please use common sense not muscle to move `em.