That's Not A Lathe...Now THIS Is a Lathe

Hey, Vaughn,

You call that a lathe? Now *this* is a lathe:

In 1999 Ian (ROBBO) Robertson of Cob & Co Woodturning got himself a big job to do for the University of Sydney (New South Wales, Australia). It consisted of a number of very large turned posts, the largest being 8.9 metres long x 300mm diam and weighed a little over 1 tonne. The order consisted of 16 of these large posts, 16 x 6 metres 16 x 4 metres & 16 x 2 metres.

R3a.jpg

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/robbo.htm

Imagine getting a catch on that thing! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
...Imagine getting a catch on that thing! ;)...
Although both would be capable of yanking you off your feet (or perhaps slamming you to your knees), I think I'd be more leery of applying sharp steel to an 8' bowl than I would a 30' pole that's less than a foot in diameter.

I'd need a lot of practice before approaching either. :D

One of my wife's uncles was a shop teacher, who built a large cruising boat in his back yard. The masts were solid wood, but looked like metal. I asked him how he got them so smooth, he said he rented an I beam from a structural steel distributor, made a headstock and tail stock, and turned them true! They were at least 45' tall.

I didn't know that Oliver made one of those. I have seen a similar one from another maker but can't remember that manufacturer.

Regardless that is impressive!!

585-A.jpg

Last edited: